Author Topic: CityRP v2  (Read 21582 times)

I'm thinking of remake the whole CityRP so it will be easier to modify and add new stuffs to it later. Also, there might be a better help file for those that really wants to edit anything in it. Further on, I will figure out a way for those that NOT want to play it on dedicated internet server. That means, LAN, Singleplayer, non-dedicated servers.
Please do not remind me of that playing a RP in a Singleplayer is useless...

Please discuss, and come with suggestions!

City RP is, at its core, horrible.

But it isn't the coding that is horrible

The gameplay is horrible. This is where your logic is flawed: rewriting everything isn't going to make much of a difference.

Anyways good luck rewriting all of Jookia's hard work.

Okay, first off:
Permission.
You'll need permission from Jookia and/or Boltster, which I know you won't get.

Sassy (the saving system)
The way Sassy works will make non-dedicated servers somewhat unstable. Because Sassy uses an object for each piece of data (ie, one piece of data for each person who joins) then a non-dedicated server will be slightly unsettled by the sheer number of objects, since it has to deal with the client side of things as well. (Note: This is speculation however it makes sense to me, someone prove me wrong if I am.)
That, and I think it fitting to add that if you can't figure out how to open a dedicated server you shouldn't be running a CityRP server, since you're obviously an idiot.

And finally, your ability to carry it through. Specifically how I don't think you have that ability.

I will wait for Jookia/Bolt's official release.
I trust no one else.
Regardless of if it actually comes or not.

And I think it's really cool that you guys (rkynick & M) give all this credit to Jookia.
He deserves it, IMO.

City RP is, at its core, horrible.

But it isn't the coding that is horrible

The gameplay is horrible. This is where your logic is flawed: rewriting everything isn't going to make much of a difference.
When I wrote "remake", I especially mark that I will remake the whole core and make the gameplay different.
As I also said, You guys could give me some suggestions of how the gameplay could be improved.

Okay, first off:
Permission.
If it doesn't look so well alike(Especially in the coding), I don't think that that would be necessary.

Sassy (the saving system)
The way Sassy works will make non-dedicated servers somewhat unstable. Because Sassy uses an object for each piece of data (ie, one piece of data for each person who joins) then a non-dedicated server will be slightly unsettled by the sheer number of objects, since it has to deal with the client side of things as well. (Note: This is speculation however it makes sense to me, someone prove me wrong if I am.)
Good point, but I've already told You that I'm going to remake everything...

That, and I think it fitting to add that if you can't figure out how to open a dedicated server you shouldn't be running a CityRP server, since you're obviously an idiot.
I know how to setup a dedicated server. I point out for those poor idiots that don't know how to do it, but really want to... (Even if that might be not necessarily...)

And finally, your ability to carry it through. Specifically how I don't think you have that ability.
You cannot read me like a book. It's already closed.

I will wait for Jookia/Bolt's official release.
I trust no one else.
Regardless of if it actually comes or not.
They wont do an another release.

And I think it's really cool that you guys (rkynick & M) give all this credit to Jookia.
No offense! I appreciate the hard work they have done to this mod! And I give all credit to their idea!

rewriting everything isn't going to make much of a difference.
That just reminds me. It will make a difference for experience Blockland users, because of that they will easier administrate the code after their need.

IMO we need this mod back
i just wish there was away to prevent some of the crappier servers from starting

you could make this rp better by making a GUI for it
if you need a beta tester i could try it out after you get it started
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:41:02 PM by Littledude1222 »

No, the game is easily flawed by allowing too much freedom via building and events. It allows unlimited supplies and money which you can only spend on weapons where you can just shoot and shoot untill you are jailed. Then you get out and start all over again. Saying that you are going to remake it is nothing unless you got a very detailed plan on how to improve the mod in the spots it was weak in.

City RP isn't even an rp. Its a get money and shoot people game mode.

City RP isn't even an rp. Its a get money and shoot people game mode.
So, in other words, a veeeeeery slow and boring DM.  Though, it can be fun if the cops aren't complete ass holes.

Outcome: A "Do stuff while I play my Gameboy and watch" thread.

Tom

Okay, first off:
Permission.
I believe Bolster posted that you can do whatever with it.

Outcome: A "Do stuff while I play my Gameboy and watch" thread.
Time for a derail?

At the very least, if you're going to rewrite it, use a more efficient system.
Especially the saving and data management. Really; improve it.

I know you said you're starting fresh, but don't take ideas from it.

Please, please don't do this. Make something that immediatly corrupts it on joining a city-rp server.