Author Topic: Math!  (Read 13649 times)

I go to a state school, so I'm not being a pretentious private school cigarette.

Community college doesn't have anywhere near the amount of programs, research opportunities, clubs, sports, etc. of a standard college.

research opportunities, clubs, sports, etc.
"Community colleges don't have enough to stuff for me to waste my time on!"

HEY I PAID MORE FOR THIS APPLE IT MUST TASTE BETTER.
What my counselor pretty much told me.  To save monies, just take your basic classes at a community college.  When your done with those, go to whatever college it is thats got your major and take those classes there.   She said the basic classes are pretty much the same thing.

it would have actually been nice to go to a school that didnt have all the bullstuff to hear about every day. when all i wanted was my degree

Work experience Annoying Oranges the minor details anyways so it doesn't matter where you went. The problem with community college is that it's specialized, so you're pretty much stuck with few options.

Universities offer a much bigger spectrum. Taking a bachelor degree can easily net you all kinds of different job opportunities. Of course if you generalize too much and do say a Bachelor of General Science (i.e. biology, physics, chemistry and geology simultaneously) odds are you'll be even more screwed than a community college graduate.

Edit: Time for bed i think, my grammar is beginning to deteriorate
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:24:35 PM by Muffinmix »

"Community colleges don't have enough to stuff for me to waste my time on!"
Oh my, ever think I might enjoy those things?

Oh my, ever think I might enjoy those things?
Yes, but I also thought of the fact that you'd be quite busy in a regular College to have time for those things.
Then again, I don't know much about the education system in the US, so I'll just keep quiet from now on.

Yes, but I also thought of the fact that you'd be quite busy in a regular College to have time for those things.
Then again, I don't know much about the education system in the US, so I'll just keep quiet from now on.
Got beef nukka?

I've changed my mind, community college is a much better choice.  My local cc has a program for wine and beverage and general technology.

How screwed would you be if you were going into your last year of high school not knowing what you want your future profession to be, thus taking all the courses that you think are "good"?

I've changed my mind, community college is a much better choice.  My local cc has a program for wine and beverage and general technology.

Well booze making is quite an amazing bit of chemistry.

How screwed would you be if you were going into your last year of high school not knowing what you want your future profession to be, thus taking all the courses that you think are "good"?

In no way screwed. Worst that would happen is you need to take slightly bulkier courses in your first year College/University. Community College would pretty much ignore anything that had to do with school.

That's the great thing about adulthood, there's always a way out as long as you throw a bit of money at them.

What the hell is a degree in Disney? This school has one.

WHAT'S THAT SANDVICH YOU WANT ME TO KILL EVERYONE? GOOD IDEA!

WAT IS DAT SANDVICH

KILL ZEM ALL

GUD IDEA :D

In no way screwed. Worst that would happen is you need to take slightly bulkier courses in your first year College/University.
Question if I may:
How exactly does a university work? Some Diplomas I see require you to have certain high school courses, so that's pretty straight forward, but for some bachelors you need have other courses, which I assume are offered in the uni.
Does this mean that when you go into a university, you pick the courses required and then get the degree once completed, or you pick the courses required, get into the degree program after completing those courses and then only get your degree?

And how does transferring from a diploma program work? You get your diploma and then get put into the bachelors course?
:S

Question if I may:
How exactly does a university work? Some Diplomas I see require you to have certain high school courses, so that's pretty straight forward, but for some bachelors you need have other courses, which I assume are offered in the uni.
Does this mean that when you go into a university, you pick the courses required and then get the degree once completed, or you pick the courses required, get into the degree program after completing those courses and then only get your degree?

And how does transferring from a diploma program work? You get your diploma and then get put into the bachelors course?
:S

Here's basically how it works.

Your specific bachelor degree will have a template with all the required courses, like say Chem1000 in 1st year, Chem2000 in second, Chem3000 in third and so on (just an example, your courses may have different key names).

You will also have other minor requisite courses, like say Calculus 1 and 2 (not high school, the uni courses). These for example require you have taken Calculus in high school as a prerequisite. If you didn't, you'll need to take a more beefed up Calculus 1 course to cover it (usually adds an extra term to what would be a single term calculus 1 course, so now it's a year course basically).

Then you have Electives, courses that you can pick out to complete any missing Credit Hours to your bachelor. The Template I mentioned earlier which forces you to take all the major courses will cover most of the credit hours, but you'll still have some left to cover afterwards so those can be whatever. Usually you also need 2 writing courses as electives, but you pick them.

As for how it proceeds, a quick rundown

1st year- Generally you take a bit of everything, it's mostly screening so 1st year usually isn't fun. Choose your major interrest in the second half for the next years.
2nd year- First half is more screening, 2nd half is when you really get to do some cool stuff
3rd year- Now we're talking
4th year- Research projects, big stuff happens. If this is your final year, this is the year that counts. Employers look at your final year above all else when hiring, get decent grades here and you're set.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 11:47:58 PM by Muffinmix »