Author Topic: [Tutorial] Making Special Effects: a complete approach  (Read 18789 times)

for the gravityCoefficient, you wrote in the word positive instead of negative:

-snip-
gravityCoefficient   = -0.0;                               //A positive Negative value will cause particles to accelerate towards the ground. Likewise, a positive value causes them to rise.
-snip-

This could cause confusion  :cookieMonster:

EDIT: Lol, I spotted the error and then corrected it the wrong way :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:01:31 PM by Altair »

for the gravityCoefficient, you wrote in the word positive instead of negative:

This could cause confusion  :cookieMonster:

No that's right.

Rising particles = negative value
Falling particles = positive value

I know it's kind of counter-intuitive.

Edit: Oh wait I made an error, positive value simultaneously causes the particle to fall AND rise? That's wrong.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:15:46 AM by Muffinmix »

I don't think you can use 1 to 255 RGB colors, I put in some brown color codes and they came out all weird purple.

I added 0. to the outside of them, the first few worked, then they turned to green.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 09:25:43 PM by AGlass0fMilk »

I don't think you can use 1 to 255 RGB colors, I put in some brown color codes and they came out all weird purple.

I added 0. to the outside of them, the first few worked, then they turned to green.

It's not 1 to 255, its 0.0 to 1.0, so brown would be like "0.7 0.5 0.0 1.0" (the last '1.0' is the transparency)

It's not 1 to 255, its 0.0 to 1.0, so brown would be like "0.7 0.5 0.0 1.0" (the last '1.0' is the transparency)

No, I tested 1 to 255 and it worked for particles, that was previous to V8. Are you using the same scheme throughout your particle datablock?

Better yet, just post that particular datablock code so we can have a look at it, I'm interested to see it now.

Badunkadunk.

Badunkadunk.

Wow, really now. Anything particular you want to share with everyone?

Edit:

Well I got back into blockland to test a few new concepts and to my surprise V11 took away a few things.

- Animated particles now spam console with
Code: [Select]
particleEmitter::renderObject - Rendering Animated Particles.As a bonus, they're now incredibly glitchy and pretty much unusable. Oh well.

- orientParticles is completely broken, and any emitter with orientParticle set to true will not emit any particles. This takes away directed particle using emitters like light ray emitters and such.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:07:22 PM by Muffinmix »

I suck at making particles, but this topic helps me, I WANT IT STICKIED

Bump again and sticky, I still recieve people asking me questions about particles.

I added dividers for now, I will clean it up excessively and supplement it with new data tonight.

I added dividers for now, I will clean it up excessively and supplement it with new data tonight.

:D

:D

Late update, I added a few resources from my other topics. These are working examples that you can base your own special effects on in case your stuff doesn't work for whatever reason. It can be a major help in trouble-shooting. Good luck crafting your effects!

I have a question. I am making a flame bow and I want to know how to make it so it burns the players like the tank. I want to make them turn all black when the get burned.