Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3850903 times)

that's probably a sign of something being wrong with you
(you're dumb)

I doubt he was doing that to look cool, not sure why he'd actually do it, but that's my two cents
I mainly wanted to see if it works properly for Blockland being an high-poly model, and yes to see if it looks cool as well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 11:54:19 PM by Filipe »

i don't think that was aimed at you :S

it really doesn't look very good at all, mostly because our shaders aren't intended to be on such smooth surfaces, and the shadows much look especially gross with a realistic draw distance

Yup, Torque can handle high-quality models.
The engine has always been able to handle high poly models. The reason there aren't any add-ons like that is because it doesn't fit the art style and you can only render so many high poly models before lower end machines start getting FPS drops.

Lego Monkey-Head explosion?

If you guys had Read, he said that they could be Fail binned for Being Too high Poly, so I don't even see a point for Importing every single vehicle, etc.
I can see why high poly stuff can get banned but I've had a bunch of high poly stuff loaded in blockland before and it didn't bother me or my computer, the game ran as good as it always did even with high shaders.

Maybe we should be allowed to use higher poly stuff now? The game has changed and I think it can handle stuff, then again I would like to try alot of high poly stuff on a 99 player server sometime.

I can see why high poly stuff can get banned but I've had a bunch of high poly stuff loaded in blockland before and it didn't bother me or my computer, the game ran as good as it always did even with high shaders.
But what about the people that play on potatoes?

Maybe we should be allowed to use higher poly stuff now? The game has changed and I think it can handle stuff, then again I would like to try alot of high poly stuff on a 99 player server sometime.
Wouldn't matter if it was allowed or not. Higher poly stuff doesn't fit the theme.

What would you consider high poly? 12 years ago cars that had 5k polygons were considered very high poly. Nowadays, hardly anyone bats an eye when someone makes a car add-on for GTA:IV that has around 100k polygons. Models with 10k polys are still considered as low-poly nowadays.

It's not really the polygon count that matters. It's the art style.

I used to talk about this with Kaje. I kept asking him how many polygons should a model be. He always told me that it should be as many as the model needed.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 05:40:48 AM by Barnabas »

I found a ripped model of a Mitsubishi Eclipse from Forza 3 and I got the idea to port it on Blockland to see how it looks

Yup, Torque can handle high-quality models.
love
can someone give me that checkered baseplate

What would you consider high poly? 12 years ago cars that had 5k polygons were considered very high poly. Nowadays, hardly anyone bats an eye when someone makes a car add-on for GTA:IV that has around 100k polygons. Models with 10k polys are still considered as low-poly nowadays.

It's not really the polygon count that matters. It's the art style.

I used to talk about this with Kaje. I kept asking him how many polygons should a model be. He always told me that it should be as many as the model needed.
Thats very true, at least the part about it being the art style.

In the case of Blockland (we have sorta a.. Community defined art style)
I would argue that polycount plays a role in blockland's art style because our art style is community driven. People rather enjoy models that look like the belong together. I've made add-ons with higher poly counts, but they still retained their blockland feel. So i understand that. Its a tough subject, defining our art style.