Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3847320 times)

those look like poopy legs

jk they look great

leave my presence

The only frameless doors that exist are glass doors (>95% glass) and frameless doors look like crap anyway.

so, mostly for future reference, what's causing that problem, and what could I do to fix it?

also I'm using CAT in 3DS Max if that matters. I figure most skeletal animation things are pretty similar though
You can do edit the envelope to change how much each bone affects each vertex.
There are some good videos out there about making good envelopes.

You can do edit the envelope to change how much each bone affects each vertex.
There are some good videos out there about making good envelopes.
alright thanks. I didn't spend any time on learning how to skin properly so I guess that's what I get
thanks for the advice earlier too. dunno why I didn't think of that myself, it's really simple

OOZIE  :cookieMonster:

edit:
more OOOOZIEES

Mini-UZI

Micro-UZI
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:16:42 AM by Treti »

Where is the macro uzi?

Where is the macro uzi?
The labels are under the models they describe

so, mostly for future reference, what's causing that problem, and what could I do to fix it?

also I'm using CAT in 3DS Max if that matters. I figure most skeletal animation things are pretty similar though
Google around how to "preserve volume" or something like that with your 3D software.

The labels are under the models they describe
there's no macro uzi he was joking pi

um i made some swords i guess

Those are adorable yet deadly, I'm not sure if I like the small black squares on them though :(
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 01:49:59 PM by alex dude »

there's no macro uzi he was joking pi
stuff dude you're right I read micro-uzi

oops sorry about that

On the other hand, you should make a macro Uzi.

This project started as "Ooh this circular space station thing sounds cool. I'll just open Blender, make a couple of cylinders and go from there. But hold on, how large should I make the circle? I'll do some Googling while I wait for Excel to open up..."

368 days later (Damn so close, I didn't even notice. No I'm not insane, I last worked on this thing like six months ago.) I finally have enough data for a render of my hard sci-fi circular rotating space station.

Six second real-time GIF. 29 rings.

How does this future marvel of technology spin? An array of big god damn tires. A single WIP tire pictured below with a 1.8 meter tall male reference model.

All calculations are done with six decimal digits of precision. (In practice, accurate down to two millimeters.) With its rotation, each ring generates exactly 1.0 standardized Earth gravity with a maximum of 1.0% variance. Maximum rotations per minute is 2.0 as most authors seem to agree that anything faster than that would be quite uncomfortable/require a long time to adjust as well to minimize the Coriolis effect. The slowest ring spins at 0.988 RPM and the outermost station diameter is 1.9 kilometers. This is the smallest space station of this type you can create while staying within the limits of 2 RPM. I did the math.

The black and white pattern denotes the maximum number of standard size rooms each level inside the ring has. (2195 rooms in total) I estimate the average population on the station would be around 3576 people but I'm probably going to change my plans on that.

Screenschot of the calculations in LibreOffice Calc.

It's shame I can't make a looping GIF though as it takes 40854542873892747854033239281 815605733612264774400 (4*10^49) frames for all the rings to get back to their initial position at the same time which is roughly 4*10^54 years at 30 fps. Fun fact: 4e54 years from now, all atoms have decayed (as in gone) 10 billion years ago.

After manually redoing the rings four times I made this Python script to generate the rings with a single click.
http://pastebin.com/NragHK1k

The data was easy to copypaste by concatenating the table data into a single cell with this custom Calc function:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/2417109/3066568

Do these tires run along giant rails that go around each ring, or function like reaction wheels?