Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3853309 times)

If it's as high poly as it looks, Blockland would actually crash due to too many polygons.
youre lying to me

I use mental ray in 3DS Max
mostly just cus I think it looks cool while it's rendering
I think it makes good renders too, but I don't think it would make much of a difference in a simple scene like this

edit: I did more

I really like how that turned out. both the render itself and I think the lighting and angle I chose looks good. I'm pleased
but the render took forever. I had this, before, which took only about three and a half minutes. that was with the final gather setting only on high. but I felt that it was too artifacty, so I finally put the final gather setting up to its highest point, "very high," and rendered it. I started it at, like, almost 1:00am on the dot, and it only ended around ten minutes ago, which would have been like, 5:30am
which is ABSURD
I imagine something is up. because that is a really really big gap in the amount of time it took. I dunno what though, and I was able to spend that time reading a series of scary stories (Penpal, if you're curious), which was fun

I also made another render of the same angle, but zoomed out until you could see the whole city

it looked pretty odd like that, so I added a black background real quick in paint.net, and it helped a lot
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 04:44:08 AM by Foxscotch »

The renderer does not seem to dither the gradient which is a bit bad. Isn't there any way to add dithering to it?

youre lying to me
I've crashed Bl before by placing too many high poly bricks. The error message was too many polygons.
The renderer does not seem to dither the gradient which is a bit bad. Isn't there any way to add dithering to it?
It's not the render's fault, I'm guessing he placed a point light which obviously only has one direction for the light to come from, blah blah blah

It's not the render's fault, I'm guessing he placed a point light which obviously only has one direction for the light to come from, blah blah blah

I don't think he's talking about the shadow's edges
I increased the brightness and contrast here so you can probably see it

on the walls and grass after the shadow begins, there's that ugly stuff
I imagine this is the problem so I'll try it out later

Oh, Leet has his monitor's brightness up way too high, got it.
There's probably an option for different filtering of stuffs.
Mental ray is a really good render, you just have to learn it.

nothing special, but ill prob end up releasing armor like this soon

crusades style

nothing special, but ill prob end up releasing armor like this soon

crusades style

[im g]http://i60.tinypic.com/a4q4g3.png[/img]

Is there any way you can use a more gray-like color?

It is gray, the sun light color is orange.

So if I were to be getting into modelling in Blender, are there any really good resources or tips and pointers for someone who already knows the bare basics? I know how to work around the model and extrude, simple stuff like that, I just want to get better.

I mean, the simplest advice is just to model. You'll get better as you go. Nobody wants to hear that but it's true. My next piece of advice is to understand the geometry of the thing you're going to model. For me, I can't model something unless I understand how it is shaped, which really helps for making the model look better and more accurate.