Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3853558 times)

why does this look so bad

I mean how else are you supposed to make that
ugh what

this is the reference I was using btw

I'm assuming you're using blender, so you're going to want to use the edge-split modifier to make it looks super pretty and curvy.

Insert Damien's edge-split tutorial.png

Set shading to smooth, Edit Mode, select edges, Ctrl E, Edge Split

well I don't use blender, and 3DS Max doesn't have such a modifier, but because thekhoz said "super pretty and curvy" I assumed he was talking about subdivision

it looks a lot better. thx
I'm still not sure how I'm gonna connect it to the pole, but I actually might not at all

does it look better with yet another level of subdivision??

maybe

however it is looking a lot less like a blade
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 01:41:29 AM by Foxscotch »

Somehow you've managed to turn a blade into a balloon

You should only smooth shade the edges of the blade instead of the entire thing so it will look like an actual cutting object

so what program do you guys use for blockland modeling

i tried milkshape but it's pretty cryptic and not really that expansive

i was thinking about giving blender another try though my last time didn't go so well hmm

You should only smooth shade the edges of the blade instead of the entire thing so it will look like an actual cutting object
I don't think that the shading has a whole lot to do with it to be honest

neat
I've been caught red handed

looking at this picture has reminded me that I forgot to turn up self-illumination for the reference material
but I guess I didn't need it if I didn't notice before

also, looking at this picture has shown me how far off it is from the drawing. I think I'm just gonna start over
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:03:54 AM by Foxscotch »

anyone got any resources for learning simple, blockland-style modeling in blender?

That is so much better

do that.
I tried

but obviously the edge that is supposed to be sharp is not at all, and I honestly don't know what's going on with the bottom right bit