The new and improved 3D model topic!

Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3853414 times)

so what program do you guys use for blockland modeling

i tried milkshape but it's pretty cryptic and not really that expansive

i was thinking about giving blender another try though my last time didn't go so well hmm

Keep trying milkshape. After a while I swear you'll find it very user friendly and simple to use, although it lacks a bunch of features in comparison to other programs.

My advice for you is my advice for everyone. Use blender.

Because if you ever want to model in any other program, blender will be so much more helpful for that than milkshape. Milkshape is a very niche program, it's really only good for Blockland (and HL1 if you're into that). You can use blender for animations, for renders, for pretty much anything.

I still use milkshape because I'm a loving weenie who can't convert over to blender or any program that is better than milkshape.

My gripes with Milkshape 3D is that it doesn't like skeletons that have joints rotated in a way that is normal in all other programs, so if you do literally anything, the rotation of the joints change to a more normal rotation, aka, towards the bone that's connected to it, but that's not good if you're modeling for the Source Engine or something, because then your model becomes horribly distorted and junk

Then there's importing models with smoothing groups, smoothing groups aren't actually created for each smoothed piece of mesh in the model, it's just faked and thrown into the first smoothing group, so doing anything will cause all the smoothing groups to disappear as if all the vertices in the model were welded together

You can technically get around that by selecting the first smoothing group and assigning it to the last smoothing group, but now the model's lighting won't update if you rotate any part of it

Working with weights can be an issue at times, but nothing severe, the biggest issue is that you need a tall enough screen to fit all of the buttons in the Joints menu, aka, the buttons on the bottom that are needed to view and update the weights for the selected vertices

It's also a pain to do simple things like beveling, selecting certain faces that you want to add to a smoothing group, and also, for some reason, while animating, the selected bone and the mesh assigned to it may randomly start to expand on it's own even though all you're doing is rotating it

And animating in general can be a pain

And then there's the Torque DTS Plus Exporter that has various options for materials, but are grayed out and can not be used, ever, they basically serve no purpose and probably would've only worked for the Torque Game Engine Advanced if Garage Games had stuck with it instead of changing it to Torque 3D and changing how models and materials work

Basically, only use Milkshape 3D for Blockland or other Torque Game Engine games and no other unless you're a masochist or something

My latest little project.

so i've settled for blender as my program but again

anyone got any resources for learning simple, blockland-style modeling in blender?

so i've settled for blender as my program but again
I doubt anyone makes tutorials specifically for such low-poly modeling. low-poly modeling to a regular degree, probably, but the kinda stuff you're talking about isn't that common
really, though, just learn how to model in general, and you'll be fine

well, got any nice resources for that

Blender Wiki actually covers modelling basics nicely enough.
If you download the .pdf version it has like 1300 pages.

i'd say that's a lot, but i tried a mapping program once and it had a 1800 page documentation

alright, thanks for the help, ill see if i can learn any cool stuff

also pm me the link so i can open it in the weekend or somesuch

How do I give an object an additive material in for Blender's internal rendering engine? I need to make a texture have an additive blend on objects behind it.

I'm working on a new game for my degree (Computer Game Tech BSc Hon) and although its not recommended to model it yourself, I want to do it. I've got a game assignment I'm handing in just before Christmas where I've designed some buildings using blank colour textures.

Just wondering if anyone knows any good websites to buy really good textures from? I've already made quite a few buildings for the game but I'm looking to texture it to the style of 'The Long Dark', 'Borderlands' or the old PS2 game, 'XIII'

Cgtextures.com
Whoops, you want cartoony, you'll probably have to paint them yourself.

so what program do you guys use for blockland modeling

i tried milkshape but it's pretty cryptic and not really that expansive

i was thinking about giving blender another try though my last time didn't go so well hmm

Blender.
As stated, Milkshape is far less versatile and useful for non-BL things, and Blender 2.5 and later are pretty easy to learn. Only use 2.4 or MS to export dts.

planning to tone this armor w/ more greyscale so its not just 1 black blob
but i have a passion for single solid colors

i use blender 3d (newest) for the actual modeling

save as a .obj
and .dts export through blender 2.49

edit
fixed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:26:04 PM by Im_AFK »