Author Topic: The new and improved 3D model topic!  (Read 3908963 times)

Needs more stars.
Plot twist, the white squares in the middle are the stars!

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=272225.0
As much as I need money I suck at guns haha. So many better than me at them. Good luck though, that looks really cool

Jackhammer (View in 3D)

Benelli M4 (View in 3D)

Tikka T3 (View in 3D)

Glock 40 (View in 3D)

M16A2 (View in 3D)

When modeling vehicles, where do you pros go off of. That's the thing that turns me off from making vehicles, I just start trying to extrude faces on multiple sides to make shapes and it never turns out well. It starts out good but then when I want to bring detail to it, I obviously can't. (Using Blender)

There are two general approaches to modelling a car:

You can go the "box-model" route where you start with one cube shape and you extrude/cut/etc. until it looks like a car or build it up face by face. The former method yields quick results, but it is mostly suitable for blockier, plainer cars, such as sedans from 1960 to 1999 or large commercial vehicles with plenty of flat panes. The latter approach is more suitable for curvier and complex vehicles, but sometimes it can get rather confusing as you may get lost in the little details.

Nowadays I'm building up my cars face by face with the use of extrude, knife, subdivide etc. tools. I start with the wheel arches, as they are the most annoying parts to make. After that I build up the wings (fenders), the rocker panel, the boot (trunk) and the bonnet (hood). Then I make the roof and bevel the A and the C or D pillars (depending on the car). Afterwards I cut out the window openings.

If you want to add smaller details, you can always start with either using a different cube (good for things like door handles, etc.), or by duplicating one part and cutting/extruding what's needed (eg.: decorative chrome strips on the side).

If this sounds confusing then I might perhaps elaborate this in a separate thread with pretty pictures and stuff. Can't promise anything, though.

If the vehicle is a dragon, go the face by face approach and say goodbye to life for a week :cookieMonster:

Also, when modeling things that are symmetrical - use mirroring! Don't connect the outer faces/sides until after you apply the mirror modifier, though; if you do (i.e. extrude to the center), you'll have a seam right down the middle (which then increases risk of nasty triangulation and causes you to have a bunch of extra polygons).

Currently modeling the M36 Jackson Tank Destroyer using the plane method with a 2-way symmetrical plane. It's coming along quite nicely.

Getting the rough shape down. The sides are full of details that will make it look realistic and busy. I am also trying to get it more blocky but still retaining a certain amount of detail to practice because I may be able to start modeling for Blockland soon.

Yell at me about things I should do different please.

Edit: Fixed image
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:16:38 AM by Dannu »

Your picture is broke and going to it directly gives me a 403, try hosting it elsewhere

Nice ship! :D

Serbu Super Shorty (View in 3D)

Dragon (View in 3D)

Finished it :D gotta fix some textures on 2 faces in the tail spikes but I need my bed
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:59:02 PM by Jervan »

Nice! I'd say the only other thing you should consider adjusting are the eyes - they're kinda throwing the feel of the dragon for me.

Maybe something sorta like this?

Also:
M79 Grenade Launcher (View in 3D)