Author Topic: Increasing fan speed in laptop - Good idea?  (Read 2194 times)

I was wondering if there was a way to do it, how I would do it, and if there was a risk of anything being killed/burned/fried.

This laptop has always been running hot, and it's been getting a bit annoying lately because the CPU's heat was affecting my integrated graphics, and artifacts start showing up after playing a game for an hour or two. I thought better cooling would also increase general performance as a whole, considering how hot it runs right now as it is.

I would get some sort of lap fan to go under the laptop, but I don't have one at hand right now, nor can I buy one at the moment.

I was wondering if there was a way to do it, how I would do it, and if there was a risk of anything being killed/burned/fried.

This laptop has always been running hot, and it's been getting a bit annoying lately because the CPU's heat was affecting my integrated graphics, and artifacts start showing up after playing a game for an hour or two. I thought better cooling would also increase general performance as a whole, considering how hot it runs right now as it is.

I would get some sort of lap fan to go under the laptop, but I don't have one at hand right now, nor can I buy one at the moment.

Keep it hot as is or break the sh*t out of it, go to a person's house in which you dont like, give it to them and let their house burnt by your comp

Keep it hot as is or break the sh*t out of it, go to a person's house in which you dont like, give it to them and let their house burnt by your comp
You help sooo much.

You help sooo much.

Thank You, please come again if you need anymore help :)

just aways use it on a desk or something. Their designed to be used on a flat surface, using them elsewhere might block off some ducts.

Or do what dell told me to do when I told them my computer was running hot; reformat your hardrive :D

You could make a Frankenstein cooler from an old refridgerator...

I'm using a hard surface with grooves to channel the air on my lap.

I also don't have any old refrigerators.

Try undervolting.  It's an easy, efficient solution that in no way effects performance.

If you follow this guide exactly, you will have no problems.  Just make sure you read the instructions very thoroughly.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

Other options can be found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=263039

Try undervolting.  It's an easy, efficient solution that in no way effects performance.

If you follow this guide exactly, you will have no problems.  Just make sure you read the instructions very thoroughly.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=235824

Other options can be found here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=263039

Yeah...it's not like manufacturers specifically set the voltages to maintain system stability or anything. [/sarcasm]

They set it at a voltage that far over meets the stability needs of the laptop.  They just set it higher than it needs to be so they don't have to individually test each laptops stable setting.

I prefer not to use temporary, patch-like solutions such as this. Better to actually try and solve the issue.

Also, if he doesn't have the knowledge to change the fan speed, do you really want him running amok in the BIOS? Aren't most BIOS settings locked in for laptops anyway?

Did you even look at the topic I showed him?  It's only temporary if you want it to be.  You never enter the BIOS.  You use a program that launches on start-up and remembers your previously safe, but lowered voltages.  This usually ends up lowering the CPU temperature by around 10o Celsius.  All he would have to do is follow the instructions and make sure he runs the proper stability tests.

EDIT:  Really the worst that can happen is a BSOD.  If that does show up, simply set the voltages higher and run another test.

Did you even look at the topic I showed him?  It's only temporary if you want it to be.  You never enter the BIOS.  You use a program that launches on start-up and remembers your previously safe, but lowered voltages.  This usually ends up lowering the CPU temperature by around 10o Celsius.  All he would have to do is follow the instructions and make sure he runs the proper stability tests.

EDIT:  Really the worst that can happen is a BSOD.  If that does show up, simply set the voltages higher and run another test.

Ah, cheesy software-level solution eh? Redneck method.

Pick your poison I suppose.

Won't install.

Trying to find older versions of it to see if they work.

@UnDiViDeD: I'll probably try that if I can't find some other solution.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:10:24 AM by n0cturni »