If your game mode has no GUI, you're doing it wrong.

Author Topic: If your game mode has no GUI, you're doing it wrong.  (Read 1859 times)

Since you can't have Wedge [GRAVEROBBER] above your name anymore (or as badspot so accurately described it, having your job floating above your head in a gigantic ugly sentence), I figure certain RP mods that will not be named are going to be updating soon. So I'll post this before they update, hoping that maybe someone will actually read it and make some changes.

If I can enter your server and type /help and then this appears:

/inventory - shows your current invetory
/message <name> - sends a message to <name>
/mail <ID> - stores a message on the server to give to <ID> when they login
/list <object> - lists all items in <objects>
(Press Pagedown, 45 more commands)

I hate you. Make a GUI. Something like /join red team for a tdm is fine. /purchase 400 smg rounds is not.

I recognize that people don't have to download your game mode off of the forums to play it. I also realize how fast it is to make this stuff. But it's not nearly as intuitive as a GUI. You give up the ability to let players bind stuff to keys and really show off your mod. Stuff like money, bricks, rocks, kills and your current bounty REALLY should be displayed on the user's HUD. Yes, you will have less people on the server. Yes, people will join the server and say "wtf y cant i play" (unless you have a brain and put the password to your server in the add-on thread). But it will also increase the longevity of your mod.

Try taking some pride in your work and make it really shine with beautiful interfaces rather then rushing out a POS because of popular demand. Text commands are fine on your beta server, but if you go public with them it feels like it's still a beta.

Not only this, but you morons sometimes forget to update the help and leave commands unlisted. Love your new job system! Too bad I can't use it because I was supposed to type /command list job set job Wedge plumber.

TLDR:

WRONG WAY:

RIGHT WAY:

If there is any way I can convince you NOT to do a text based command system or somehow assist you in the creation of a GUI with my very limited knowledge, let me know. I can start off by linking you to the lovely icon set I used in my mockup. These are same icons RTB, ERPG, Gmod, Facepunch and millions of other websites and programs use.

http://www.famfamfam.com/

The are licensed under a CC2.5 license. All you need to do is include the above url somewhere in your add-on post. To use them.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 04:00:43 PM by Wedge »

Another good example would be RoB. Wallet also nicely gives us a URL for  the GUI download if we happen to stumble into his server.

Sticky it in the Add-Ons section please.

Sticky it in the Add-Ons section please.
More likely Modification Discussion, as people don't usually release their 'super-duper' RP mods.

However, I do completely agree with Wedge.

Tom

Guis also shouldn't look like this. The buttons are only made to look right in some sizes.

Common sense of course.

Another good example would be RoB. Wallet also nicely gives us a URL for  the GUI download if we happen to stumble into his server.

Wallet's my hero.

I love how wedge made the wrong way look worse then it is.

Also, very lovey GUI. Someone needs to use that. Like now.

i agree, i hate commands for anything. it just reeks unfinished and lazy.

I think the problem is that there are no examples of HUDs on Blockland that are publicly available to get an idea on how to create one yourself.

I know I'd be more interested in adding a HUD to my server's mod if I knew how to incorporate it with my code.

Wedge let's raid the Democratic HQ and wreck up the place!

Also good exposé.

Tom

I think the hardest things about HUDs is figuring out were to place them on the screen.

I started on a HUD once for an RPG but since I never finish anything this didn't get anywhere.