Author Topic: Viking Invasion Begins: Viking Longhouse  (Read 4676 times)

Welp, the Viking Invasion has begun. Translation being that I've recently taken an interest in Vikings and Viking architecture.

What did the Vikings live in during the time they were invading Europe and pillaging towns and villages? A common house that an entire family would live in would be the classic "Longhouse". This house would include the resident warriors' weapons, the family's food, living space, and much more.

My latest interest has brought on a new series of builds by me, so called "Viking Invasion." These builds take place in the time when the Vikings were invading England, Ireland, Scotland, and many other medieval countries. This seemed like a very interesting build to do, seeing as how I mainly focus on well-to-do, wealthy, medieval lords and their towns or property.

-I respect those of you who bothered to read that.

Enough with the history lesson. This new series has given birth to its first creation. Without further boring lectures, I present to you, the Viking Longhouse!

-A simple overhead view of the whole build.

-A front view of the Longhouse entrance. From here, you see the wooden horns crowning the tip of the roof's edge, a sign of barbarism. You can also see the two-colored shields decorating the wooden beams, a sign of power and strength.

-Here we have a look at the ally/walkway down the center of the house. This view isn't the best, since it covers up the living spaces on the platforms to the left and right. Let's have a close look.

-As we know, Vikings were considered barbarians, and these barbarians are poor, owning only one wooden table, displaying the family treasury: a couple of gold and silver coins. Here, you can also see one of two indoor fire pits, with simple stuffed pads for the family members to sit on.

-In this view, we see that this longhouse, though primitive, can be fairly cozy. On the wooden platform, we see a "playmat" of sorts, where one or two family members can sit, talk, warm up by the fire, eat, and much more. We also see the family's storage method (barrels) and one of the warrior's shields sitting by his sleeping mat and a candle.

-The outdoor campfire. You might say the ground is bare and could use more detail, but on the fjords of Norway, or the fields of Ireland, simple grassy ground (in this case, a green brick) wasn't too detailed.

-Here we see the mini-mountain backdrop behind the house. This was my first attempt at cubic terrain. This gives the idea that the environment these people lived in was fairly cold, and the further you climb the mountain, the more frosted the terrain becomes.

-The previous overhead view, to save you the trouble of scrolling up the page, and to give the thread a prettier closing.

Thank you for taking your time to read yet another one of my overly detailed threads. Please, feel free to rate this build on a scale of #/10. If you have any tips on how to make this build better (which I'm sure you do) please share them! As to where I got most of my historical (sorta) information and inspiration, visit this site

Thanks again. :D

Awesome, looks very realistic

I love it! :D I also admire the balls they had to start a fire in a wooden house.

I love it! :D I also admire the balls they had to start a fire in a wooden house.

Haha, yeah, usually the ground was dirt and the ceiling was just out of reach of the flames.

I really wanted a fire somewhere in the house! :D

Vikings>Pirates>Ninjas

11/10

I like the house but the landpart is not so good.

Vikings kick ass. I like this.

Really nice, I bothered to read the description :D.   But anyway, nice I like the idea.
Can't wait to see more of this build series.

Very Swedish, and it looks great!
Nice details.

10.5/10

Its amazing. Time to bring the Knowledge Age to all those noobs out there.

nice. I love the animal skins on the table.

Now we need a viking ship, whatever they are called...

Absolutely mind-splintering. Maybe you could make a continuation where it has supposed water, and maybe make a Knarr that can lead out of a small bay? 10/10 all the way.