Author Topic: Terrain Build Rules (64x grid and baseplate enforcement)  (Read 27824 times)

Theres no way this could fail!

Badspot should fail this for no reason.

I like it now, but an improvement I would make would be any baseplate, that must be aligned with any other existing ones. I like it though.

I like it now, but an improvement I would make would be any baseplate, that must be aligned with any other existing ones. I like it though.
That would disable the whole thing because if you can not keep it from shifting the big plates then the small ones will just make it have gaps.

That would disable the whole thing because if you can not keep it from shifting the big plates then the small ones will just make it have gaps.
I see, oh well. I still like it.

Badspot should fail this for no reason.
That would be awesome :3

Awesome! (this post is manly because i wanted to post on something Badspot made) p.s. i know how to escape from that :O

This is the mod he uses in his server :)

Why not use a 2D array of on/off booleans to check if it's connected, rather than doing a raycast?

If they're all 64x64 bricks, it shouldn't matter, right?

Just be happy Badspot took sometime out of his life to give us an add-on. Be happy with that for a while. This add-on is not "better" then other player made add-ons. Everyone stop think that it is just because Badspot made it. And lastly:

Badspot is not a god... he is a normal person that has made a game that is popular.
Your not accomplishing anything by saying that...
I've actually been waiting for something like this. Why? because it's useful.

Nice addon.

Its not working at all for me. I check it off in the Add-Ons list and if I go back to it its unchecked. Ill try reinstalling it

EDIT: Still not working
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:58:12 PM by Colten »

Badspot

• Administrator
Its not working at all for me. I check it off in the Add-Ons list and if I go back to it its unchecked. Ill try reinstalling it

EDIT: Still not working

Write protection / vista permissions.

Badspot

• Administrator
Why not use a 2D array of on/off booleans to check if it's connected, rather than doing a raycast?

Because that would be awful.  Ignoring the fact that the array would have to be of infinite size, how would you determine what cell in the array you were supposed to check?  If you did it based on absolute world position then the first brick planted would have to be exactly lined up with an invisible grid which would be a huge pain in the ass.  If you based it off of the relative position of the bricks next to you, you'd have to do a container search to find those bricks and if you're going to do that then there is no point in having your magical infinite array since you can just compare the positions of the bricks directly. 

Write protection / vista permissions.
Its on XP
Im installing it on my Vista PC right now

EDIT: Works on Vista

Because that would be awful.  Ignoring the fact that the array would have to be of infinite size, how would you determine what cell in the array you were supposed to check?  If you did it based on absolute world position then the first brick planted would have to be exactly lined up with an invisible grid which would be a huge pain in the ass.  If you based it off of the relative position of the bricks next to you, you'd have to do a container search to find those bricks and if you're going to do that then there is no point in having your magical infinite array since you can just compare the positions of the bricks directly. 

I place the first brick at 0 25. It's in the array as $baseplate[0][0] because it's the starting brick. We also add an $offset of 0 25 to all brick placings. Place a brick at 0 89. $baseplate[0][1] is lit up as it matches the $offset and there's a brick at [0][0]. I guess raycasting is easier, though.