Author Topic: Either an independant program to model bricks or a method to convert models  (Read 1072 times)

I think that a program that could model bricks or something to convert a model into a brick (sketchup plugin?) would be a great idea, even more so with the release of prop bricks. People are frightened by the current system and instead turn to dts shapes mounted to invisible blocks. While it is the only option for animated models, it bypasses all of that effort that was put into optimizing Blockland for the large brick loads we enjoy today. I haven't downloaded them yet (and don't plan to), but I'm pretty sure that not one of the prop bricks are animated. When used sparingly, they don't cause a tremendous performance hit. But the fact of the matter is that we shouldn't be required to use certain bricks sparingly. We have a system for much more efficient bricks and it should be used.

I realize that there are probably some technical limitations or issues that I am not aware of, but until there is an easier way to do it (or Badspot goes out of his way to block the addons) people will continue to do stuff the wrong way. I don't know if the household pack would work with the system as I am not aware of its limitations (personally I like built furniture more anyway), but I do know that Packer's brick pack could benefit from it. There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to place 30 thousand 1x2 vents in my builds. Since the method is basically the same as beta blockland's, we're back down to 2 or 3 thousand of them.

He also has a list of "unfixible issues" which could be completely fixed if the bricks were made correctly.

Grill plate - Can build ontop of it.
Steering Wheel - Same as above.
Tray - Same as above, side details go through other bricks.
Ramp Wing - Can build on the parts that don't have any support.
Rail Fence - Can build through the detail part, cannot spray/hammer though the detail part, only colourable on the 1x6.
Wing Brick - the studs rotate with the model rather then staying in one position like normal bricks, the collision acts like a box rather then allowing projectiles in the sides.
Crystal - Building on top was partly intended so no real worries.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:14:50 PM by Wedge »

I've heard stuff about a certain persons private dts to blb converter.

I think it's just wishful thinking churning out from the rumor mill. Like that "dso decompiler" that never existed either.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 01:18:45 PM by Wedge »

Yeah, all the household stuff could be made. You can set parts of bricks to be certain colours (like the road+stripe)

Object type converter utilities don't work too well. They usually end up making one part inverted or display wrong or have errored lighting etc.

BLBs will be useful once there is official documentation of them and hopefully a BLB downloader. (Is this in v12? Badspot is changing things with texture/model downloads, does this include bricks?)

I think it's just wishful thinking churning out from the rumor mill. Like that "dso decompiler" that never existed either.
No, Zor said she had a blender .blb converter that worked a while ago.
I think some sort of "Brick Creator" program would be neat and very useful. I agree with space guy - it's probably best off making it so it doesn't convert models but creates the models straight into .blb format.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 12:35:19 AM by Destiny/Zack0Wack0 »