Poll

is minecraft dead

yes
270 (61.8%)
no
167 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 436

Author Topic: Minecraft Megathread; yeah its update 1.12 big whoop what about it  (Read 5860030 times)

i remember trying to use modloader on a mac, it was a huge pain and i just couldnt get it to work
all i wanted  to do was get the elemental creepers mod, aaa

Am I the only person who prefers to play with generated structures off? I think they look really ugly half of the time, especially villages.

Am I the only person who prefers to play with generated structures off? I think they look really ugly half of the time, especially villages.

probably, because that gets rid of at least half of the actual content in the game

probably, because that gets rid of at least half of the actual content in the game
Seeing villages generated on the side of a cliff looks really ugly and I cannot imagine it'd be too difficult to check whether or not the terrain was walkable.

Seeing villages generated on the side of a cliff looks really ugly and I cannot imagine it'd be too difficult to check whether or not the terrain was walkable.
simple solution, chop down the entire loving village

I don't mind the underground structures, it's just that the structures on the surface always spawn in bad or impossible spots.

the problem is, where's the perfect threshold? if you make placement more strict you end up with villages being stunted or harder and harder to find, all at the mercy of completely random terrain generation

whenever I come across one like that I either

a) don't care because the world is infinite and I'll almost certainly never see it again or
b) turn it into a project and fix it

Surely they could stop villages from spawning at the edges of cliffs, at least? that sounds very easy to fix.

Surely they could stop villages from spawning at the edges of cliffs, at least? that sounds very easy to fix.

if (terrain = cliff) {
   structure.generate(None)
}
else {
  structure.generate(Village)
}

you forgot semicolons, and you're setting terrain to cliff instead of testing to see if they're equal. You want ==, not =
also wow sixty-seven hundred pages

pretty sure the proper way is to use as many regexes and ternary operators as possible

structure.generate(Pattern.matches(".*[cC][lL][iI][fF][fF].*", terrain.toString()) ? new Village() : new Cave());

added bonus is it only takes one line
that way it's more compact and looks amazing
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:01:13 PM by phflack »

For your immersion:

Granted the generated villages don't look quite as nice, the idea of using the terrain instead of flattening the ground everywhere you want to build results in a lot of nice looking village even in the real world.
Or maybe they got hit by an earthquake or something. Help them out, become the architect that you always wanted to be.

Mojang hired a pixel artist to revamp some textures, but I'm not a fan of these blurry looks.

Personally I think that the legacy textures are just fine, and changing them makes them look out of place.

that birch looks kinda blurry instead of sharp and distinct, which is in contrast to pretty much every other texture in the game. everything else in those screenshots look like improvements though.