Poll

is minecraft dead

yes
270 (61.8%)
no
167 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 436

Author Topic: Minecraft Megathread; yeah its update 1.12 big whoop what about it  (Read 5814941 times)

Oh look it's this argument again.

I didn't mention anything about realism. I said it doesn't make the least bit of sense.
neither does having aloveual animals for breeding, turning diamonds into any shaped tools just by sticking them together, or having lava not incinerate you alive when you get anywhere close to it.
it's mainly a trouble of balance, of making the game require less challenge for the same reward. it really is the journey, not the destination.

neither does having aloveual animals for breeding
It's a different world. Everything is aloveual. This can make sense.
turning diamonds into any shaped tools just by sticking them together
This I will agree is pretty dumb.
or having lava not incinerate you alive when you get anywhere close to it.
Lava is hot and produces heat yes, but it doesn't ever incinerate anyone just for being close to it.
it's mainly a trouble of balance, of making the game require less challenge for the same reward. it really is the journey, not the destination.
All of the things you listed are intentional game mechanics, as apposed to a physics bug, aka minecart boosting.

Want to make minecraft realistic?
Get TFC.

Get TFC.

TFC isn't realistic, it makes the "getting there" montage more challenging more than vanilla in effort to make the end more rewarding.

What would be a small, mindless task in normal vanilla minecraft becomes a hard challenge that requires you to do several tasks that would make more sense, not just smacking a few things together and winning the game.

Get TFC.
Who said they wanted it to be more realistic?

i would say TFC gets realism right in some aspects

like not being able to chop wood with your hand, how trees don't float, and the whole knapping thing, plus how ores are a million and a half times more rare

and smelting/smithing too

i like the firepit too, that's pretty cool

TFC is nice when it comes to realism, but there's just too much to learn and remember that you basically need the wiki open at all times and travelling the world for certain rocks and ores was tedious as all hell

wiki-reliance is one of minecraft's biggest weaknesses and not something that should be intensified

this is why I'm loving thaumcraft, the thaumonomicon keeps track of the special recipes and you get little hints as to how to create certain things in the game without having to open up a wiki page

the wiki thing does annoy me a little, yeah.

and i've been meaning to try out thaumcraft but never really got around to getting into it.

Suspension of disbelief =\= realism. Stop getting the two mixed up.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:40:02 PM by Soukuw »

make a diamond forget pick
nope, iron pickaxes there cost with an actual kit, like 1000 (econ mod).
So I'm getting at least 64 diamonds.

oh god the wrong thread mistake

run while you can
what did he POST OMG TELL ME

what did he POST OMG TELL ME
Go to his posts and look at the one right after that one.

Quote from: https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/276367442362630144
Preview of fireworks: http://i.imgur.com/LHpLq.jpg  (colors, fade, flight height, effects and shapes are craftable)

I am kind of disappointed that of all things to show off for 1.5, the "maybe we will" useless thing is first... Then again, maybe this is a sign they can make it in before new years?