Minecraft Megathread; yeah its update 1.12 big whoop what about it

Poll

is minecraft dead

yes
270 (61.8%)
no
167 (38.2%)

Total Members Voted: 436

Author Topic: Minecraft Megathread; yeah its update 1.12 big whoop what about it  (Read 5851232 times)

[im g]http://puu.sh/9Hov8/5ec1a6869c.png[/img]

better treasure chest?
You never answered what pack this is, it looks nice.

I want to say that's quandry or corterie craft

You never answered what pack this is, it looks nice.

coteriecraft

Um guys... HAS IT RETURNED?

According to a Nintendonews.com article, the mobile, PC and console versions of Minecraft have collectively sold 54 million copies making it the second best selling game. This game is disgustingly popular with young children and since stuff like MinecraftEdu are happening, this game is going to be the next Math Blasters, except people will play it in and out of school. My old english teacher actually plays the game with her 5 children. It's probably a good bonding exercise for them. Can't wait to see all the "If you had this game, your childhood was awesome" memes in 5 or 8 years.

Lately though I've started to feel that with all the good things that Minecraft has brought to the table like popular culture recognition for the games industry and giving more motivation for older people to actually experience this medium of entertainment, it has also introduced some new and popularized some old very harmful concepts that are hurting the user friendliness of the games industry, which is already in a very weak state. I mean stuff like paying for Early Access and the way how Minecraft popularized Indie games, painting them as "Quality titles made by the people for the people", even though the real meaning is "Rarely quality titles made by the people for a school project", so now console manufacturers are using them as proof that they aren't a bunch of twats looking to make money.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:28:02 AM by Tonkka² »

According to a Nintendonews.com article, the mobile, PC and console versions of Minecraft have collectively sold 54 million copies making it the second best selling game. This game is disgustingly popular with young children and since stuff like MinecraftEdu are happening, this game is going to be the next Math Blasters, except people will play it in and out of school. My old english teacher actually plays the game with her 5 children. It's probably a good bonding exercise for them. Can't wait to see all the "If you had this game, your childhood was awesome" memes in 5 or 8 years.

Lately though I've started to feel that with all the good things that Minecraft has brought to the table like popular culture recognition for the games industry and giving more motivation for older people to actually experience this medium of entertainment, it has also introduced some new and popularized some old very harmful concepts that are hurting the user friendliness of the games industry, which is already in a very weak state. I mean stuff like paying for Early Access and the way how Minecraft popularized Indie games, painting them as "Quality titles made by the people for the people", even though the real meaning is "Rarely quality titles made by the people for a school project", so now console manufacturers are using them as proof that they aren't a bunch of twats looking to make money.
Can't blame Minecraft for that, you have to blame the stupidity of the developer, the publisher, and the consumer for entering an endless circle of disappointment where unfinished early access titles are acceptable.

An brown townogy would be that you are blaming the spark (Minecraft and other indie titles), when you should really be blaming the plentiful oxygen (consumer money), heat (journalistic buzz around indie titles, and the fact that the firefighters haven't shown up to put out your house fire (the lack of curation of game distributors like Steam to handle the early access projects that fail to deliver what was expected).

Totalbiscuit has some good thoughts on all this, I'd suggest a quick look.

Can't blame Minecraft for that, you have to blame the stupidity of the developer, the publisher, and the consumer for entering an endless circle of disappointment where unfinished early access titles are acceptable.

An brown townogy would be that you are blaming the spark (Minecraft and other indie titles), when you should really be blaming the plentiful oxygen (consumer money), heat (journalistic buzz around indie titles, and the fact that the firefighters haven't shown up to put out your house fire (the lack of curation of game distributors like Steam to handle the early access projects that fail to deliver what was expected).

Totalbiscuit has some good thoughts on all this, I'd suggest a quick look.
Of course the 2 other parts of the fire triangle are important, but the other 2 entities have always been there, stupid consumers and stupid developers. Minecraft is the spark that appeared last and caused the flames to burst. I'm definitely not saying that Notch was mischievously rubbing his gloves together in glee as he planned how to damage the industry. It just sort of happened.

I'm a fan of Totalbiscuit. Where exactly did he talk about early access?

My only problem with minecrafts popularity is the insanely annoying young kids and the rip-offs developers keep making of it (Terraria is a rare example where a similar concept works)

My only problem with minecrafts popularity is the insanely annoying young kids and the rip-offs developers keep making of it (Terraria is a rare example where a similar concept works)
Terraria isn't a rip-off of Minecraft, it isn't a hack trying to leech off of Minecraft's success. It has its own very good original ideas and stands on its own as a great game.

on the flip side, perfectly valid and original games that want to make use of similar technology to minecraft are accused of being rip-offs

of course for every valid application there are at least ten that are legitimately leeches

Terraria isn't a rip-off of Minecraft, it isn't a hack trying to leech off of Minecraft's success. It has its own very good original ideas and stands on its own as a great game.
I'm not saying its a rip-off, although its concept is very similar to minecraft but the game is done in a way that's original and enjoyable

perhaps I worded it a bit wrong, my mistake.

perhaps I worded it a bit wrong, my mistake.
Oh heavens no, i just wanted to add to your point.

Of course the 2 other parts of the fire triangle are important, but the other 2 entities have always been there, stupid consumers and stupid developers. Minecraft is the spark that appeared last and caused the flames to burst. I'm definitely not saying that Notch was mischievously rubbing his gloves together in glee as he planned how to damage the industry. It just sort of happened.

I'm a fan of Totalbiscuit. Where exactly did he talk about early access?
A lot of recent Co-Optional Podcasts. The most recent one with Jim Sterling had a bit about content curation and just how stuff Steam is being at the moment.

Also he might have dedicated an entire video to it at some point...

ogm teria stol mincraf!!11!