Author Topic: Blockland Achievements  (Read 5099 times)

I was wondering if Blockland could maybe have an achievement system added, (kind of like the achievements in tf2 and Left 4 Dead)
Like for example, "join 500 servers" or "build something with over 250,000 bricks on your own".
Discuss.

"join 500 servers"
If you don't mean join 500 different servers, this would be easy to code.

This sort of topic comes up every few months...

This sort of topic comes up every few months...
Oh haha, my bad. :P
It was pretty late when I posted this so I didn't really look around.

Hm, actually, this might be a good project for me. I recently figured out how to intertwine Torque, Java, and SQL. This means I could make a client-sided add-on that gives you achievements, then tells the server I make in Java you got an achievement. It would then be submitted to the SQL database so it remembers which achievements you got and other people could view them via some method (maybe a .php page, I dunno).

The problem that's come up every time this is suggested though is that it is VERY easy to hack client-sided. Some guy copies and pastes the achievement code into loops and releases it.

I have a clan for that, but i never got to open  a server, i got a few achievements down....

....if i could find the text file...

Hm, actually, this might be a good project for me. I recently figured out how to intertwine Torque, Java, and SQL. This means I could make a client-sided add-on that gives you achievements, then tells the server I make in Java you got an achievement. It would then be submitted to the SQL database so it remembers which achievements you got and other people could view them via some method (maybe a .php page, I dunno).

The problem that's come up every time this is suggested though is that it is VERY easy to hack client-sided. Some guy copies and pastes the achievement code into loops and releases it.
Have it on the server? Then you can detect things to do with specific mods or in-game things like kills/bricks placed/whatever.

Servers could still edit the Add-On though...

you could make it check for every line being the same but that could cause a number of problems, like lag.

It'd be very easy to edit the verifier thing to send lines from a fake copy of the mod.

If there's no reward for doing the achievements, people cheating it isn't really a problem.

I was wondering if Blockland could maybe have an achievement system added, (kind of like the achievements in tf2 and Left 4 Dead)
Like for example, "join 500 servers" or "build something with over 250,000 bricks on your own".
Discuss.
No, this would increase spam.

If you give people a goal they'll try and achieve it quickly.

I thought you could only have 128,000 bricks anyway :cookieMonster:

How about we have something useful like - don't get banned from any servers.  Or perhaps, not being an idiot?

Build 500 1x1 Plates on a server

Ban 50 People in 3 Hours

Hammerkill 1000 People

Build 500 1x1 Plates on a server

Ban 50 People in 3 Hours
5.6 Bans/m

And lolspam

Why would you use Java to interact between Torque and an SQL database?

Also; RTB3 tracks a few things about players such as total cumulative playtime, total servers joined, total add-ons downloaded/installed. There are more interesting things I could do such as server ratings based on player turnover but this would kind of require more servers/players to have RTB installed, since I can't verify if a non-rtb player has joined a server when the server says he has. These would never be achievements because they're not things you can actively work towards constructively but they're still interesting things I could shove on people's profile pages as funfacts.

Like I mentioned in pretty much all the achievement threads, people will always cheat for the achievements so they'll become meaningless (and therefore a huge waste of time) really quick. See the Blockland Trading Cards. It requires people who run servers to not allow people to cheat for achievements, and there will always be people who will change their servers to let players get them all.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 02:08:22 PM by Ephialtes »