Author Topic: Microsoft Sued Over Xbox Live  (Read 908 times)

It seems some guys are claiming they patented gameplay via online in the 1990's
Link

They're idiots. Who didn't think of the online concept?

Stupid children.

EDIT:
In 1994, Peter Hochstein and Jeffrey Tenenbaum patented a method for "communicating live while playing the same video game in separate locations". In 2004, they sued Microsoft, accusing Xbox Live of infringing on that patent.

Now, five years later, the case is finally starting to heat up.

See, unlike many other cases of this ilk - which are often harmless - this one may have some teeth.

Why? Because in 2004, the two men not only sued Microsoft over Xbox Live, but Sony as well, claiming the PS2's online network infringed on the same patent. And in April of this year, Sony settled with them for an undisclosed sum.

What's more, Microsoft, rather than shrugging the case off with a team of mighty lawyers, have resorted to juvenile tricks, holding the case up for weeks in February 2009 over a single, innocent typo, and dumping 140,000 documents on Hochstein and Tenenbaum without an index.

Something tells me this may end up costing Microsoft a dollar or two, if only in the form of another "undisclosed sum".

Wow, I guess I'll patent purple polkadotted giant cats and when someone makes them later, I'll sue them! Yippee for me!

Stupid children.

EDIT:
In 1994, Peter Hochstein and Jeffrey Tenenbaum patented a method for "communicating live while playing the same video game in separate locations". In 2004, they sued Microsoft, accusing Xbox Live of infringing on that patent.

Now, five years later, the case is finally starting to heat up.

See, unlike many other cases of this ilk - which are often harmless - this one may have some teeth.

Why? Because in 2004, the two men not only sued Microsoft over Xbox Live, but Sony as well, claiming the PS2's online network infringed on the same patent. And in April of this year, Sony settled with them for an undisclosed sum.

What's more, Microsoft, rather than shrugging the case off with a team of mighty lawyers, have resorted to juvenile tricks, holding the case up for weeks in February 2009 over a single, innocent typo, and dumping 140,000 documents on Hochstein and Tenenbaum without an index.

Something tells me this may end up costing Microsoft a dollar or two, if only in the form of another "undisclosed sum".

I have no clue why you're saying stupid children when you are a child yourself. Also nice copypasta.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:36:00 AM by Jimmg »

Quote from:  silentstriderm
So I should just start patenting things like bionic limbs and flying cars?
I'm doing that.

Shame that's been done on the internet since before 1994?

I'm doing that.

Such a copy of my post. :(

Wow, I guess I'll patent purple polkadotted giant cats and when someone makes them later, I'll sue them! Yippee for me!

Also, interwebs should sue the guys that think they patented online play.

What's more, Microsoft, rather than shrugging the case off with a team of mighty lawyers,
Mighty Lawyer to the rescue!

These guy's are bigger idiots than anyone thinks. Microsoft should just sneeze a couple thousand at the scoundrels to get it over with, they'll prolly have any money they get from this case spent in a month on heroin. Damn it, if someone ever makes bionic limbs, I'll be rich :D

Quote from: babbayagga
Oh stuff... someone patented the breathing process, looks like we're all getting sued.

Must not breath! lol...

Freakin' idiots to go against Microsoft.

"You are banned from Xbox live for: forever; Reason: What do you think, a little sue happy?"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:45:41 AM by AGlass0fMilk »

These guy's are bigger idiots than anyone thinks. Microsoft should just sneeze a couple thousand at the scoundrels to get it over with, they'll prolly have any money they get from this case spent in a month on heroin. Damn it, if someone ever makes bionic limbs, I'll be rich :D

Must not breath! lol...

Bionic limbs are already invented. You can't patent them.

I can patent your mom.

Kidding.

I just finished patenting multiplay via direct connection :cookieMonster: