huge ass pointless rant on jails and rpgs

Author Topic: huge ass pointless rant on jails and rpgs  (Read 1709 times)

Here is something I can't understand: jails and criminal systems in RPGs. The purpose of the jail is to provide adequate punishment for crimes committed. In theory, it discourages people from committing them. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. But you are also lured to crime by the promise of riches. You can try and make money fairly through "hard work" (in reality sitting around spamming the chat or browsing the internet while waiting for money to magically appear in your bank account for work you didn't do) or the "faster" way - by stealing it from people who earned theirs legitimately. The thing is, crime isn't actually a faster way to earn money, it's just moderately interesting and breaks up the routine of doing nothing. People aren't being drawn to crime because they like the challenge of earning all their money by murdering others, they're being drawn to it because the game mode is ass backwards as forget and basically the only way for the game to be tolerable is to DM with your friends while you wait for free money to spawn in your pocket. In fact, civilians are barely any better than prisoners! The difference is that they can wander around the city and chat idly.

The goal of any game mode should be to provide 100% fun 100% of the time. Jail doesn't make any sense. I have about as much fun sitting in jail as I do sitting in a moderated IRC channel where everyone has voice except me. You actively encourage people to be criminals by making not being one extremely boring. Then you break up the fun and action of being a criminal by making them sit in a jail for 10 minutes because someone whacked them with a gold hammer. You are punishing them for doing the only fun thing in the game. Here's a better idea: make criminals have to pay for their own ammo. When they get caught by the police, they get fined. Instead of being kicked out of the game and forced to sit in a tiny room for 10 minutes, they have to sell their guns and go back to mugging people instead of mowing down defenseless building contractors with an automatic shotgun that fires 5000 rounds per second because people abuse the Q key and never runs out of ammo.

Even then, a criminal system is basically mutually exclusive with an RPG (unless you're making a RPG that is focused on all kinds of crime, smuggling etc, instead of murdering your fellow players to steal the green stuff that spills out of them when they die). If the idea is to create a "dynamic player driven economy in where the only limit to what you can sell is your imagination and the demand of the market, focused on relationships and socializing," it's failed miserably. If the goal was to create DM, it's done a pretty decent job, but it would have been a lot better if was a DM from the beginning, with all of the features geared towards making it a more fun DM.

There are a some people out there who enjoy it, but I'm pretty certain that it's because they've gotten so used to eating stuff that they forgot what a good meal tasted like. It's far from my place to dictate what you eat though, bon appétit.

tldr: read the bolded bits

I didn't get much info on the bolded bits.

yeah sorry about that. :D

I removed from Tailsrpg, Because v11 broke the pvp jailing system

I wasn't talking about yours specifically, I haven't even played on your server.

It's not just a problem in Blockland RPGs either, Gmod RPGs suffer from it too (although the only one I ever played was on gmod9), and I assume many other RPG mods do as well.

Badspot

• Administrator

Never really thought about it like that before, but you're right.

I agree.
Crime is the only activity in those RPGs. And being a cop requires no skill since they can just whack people with hammer to jail them.

The only time I actually had fun with an rp in blockland was surprisingly enough a City RP server. I created a car rental dealership and would charge people for vehicles until either they lost the vehicle, it died, or they left the server. It actually gave me an additional source of income and I had to try and convince people to buy vehicles so it gave me something to do. It in the end was quite and enjoyable experiance.

If anyone used as much imagination as ladios and was not as stupid the whole idea of RP'ing in Blockland would seem a lot more interesting.

I miss the broom sumos, checkered spear dm, and building with people who you can have fun with and no one would ask for admin or send random trust invites. I also miss people who used good grammar and perfection spelling and puncuation.

*coughHellsHeroscityrpcough*

I miss the broom sumos, checkered spear dm, and building with people who you can have fun with and no one would ask for admin or send random trust invites. I also miss people who used good grammar and perfection spelling and puncuation.
Well forget you for not living up to your standards, princess.

*coughHellsHeroscityrpcough*
Sucks.

Oh, and there's no self defense check too, so if you kill someone who was attacking you, you get jailed instead. Joy.
In my RPG, commit a crime and you are wanted-- guard bots sit in every city and attack wanted persons. You are free to murder those of other countries as you are at war, however. You are no longer wanted after a preset time(usually 15-30 minutes, or if you die). Shopkeepers will not sell to you, and there is also a bounty on your head. If you want to follow a life of crime, you're going to have some tough roadblocks. [/plug]

And then there's cityRP. If you kill someone for money, you have to sit in jail for 10 minutes. If you don't kill someone, you have to sit in your house for 10 minutes to earn that money.
Lots of sitting either way. Boring.

If someone attacks you enough you can attack them without being jailed.

This + Space Guy's spawn killing rant = love.