Author Topic: The Joy of Photoshop  (Read 1393 times)

For a good three or so months I've been playing around with Photoshop, and I guess it's safe to say that I've improved quite a bit. I'm always curious what other people think, so I'll post the things I've made so far. Feel free to comment and enjoy, but don't make rude comments on what words are in the text. It's my art and I'm pretty sure I chose what goes in them for a reason. (Also I'm doing this out of 4 AM boredom)

The first time I did this I misspelled "Medieval" and I of course rasterized the text so I had to redo it >.<

I think these are in order, but who knows. There are a few more, but I'm too tired to upload the rest. And, feel free to upload any kind of 2D art you've created.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:07:26 AM by herzfeld2 »

The first one is very offensive and disrespectful to our country. Get rid of it entirely.

The rest, well looks to me like you just used stock text, and other photos with a few over flashy effects.

The second image shows great promise, however, it seems a little hard to tell what it says, as you are trying to be too flashy. Remember, with logos, simplistic>stylistic>flashy. Just get to the point in your logo, maybe add a few effects, but don't go overboard, if it's too flashy, then only half your audience will enjoy it, and the other half will hate it or not even understand it.

3rd image is a good example of simple and to the point and easy to understand. Make more like that one, and you are on the way to good logos. A few of the later ones are also not as bad as the earlier ones, but they aren't as good as the 3rd. Also remember that your text does not have to be centered and in fact, it's often good not to center it, as it allows the eye to travel across the image, yet still understand the concept. If it's centered, then the eye is dragged right to it, thus not exploring the rest of the image. This isn't always true, but it's rare when the text being centered is a good thing. If you don't believe me, go look at a few professional sites you know of, and tell me where that text is half the time on logos. Notice how its usually to the left or to the right. Its usually only in the center when the entire image is a design of its own, also symmetrical, thus requiring the text to also be centered. It's really hard to explain, but use your better judgment on this and it will become simple.

The last picture is just too random, and I don't even know what to say. It has way too much going on, and it's not very appealing.

Your work is pretty good, but lacks discipline. Don't go overboard, and be sure your work gets to the point.

Edit: the space planet one I just now noticed. It looks pretty good. It's simple, and gets to the point. Maybe just tone down that lens flare and its a winner for sure. Maybe also move the planet to the right so the eye explores the image more.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:31:36 AM by Trash Man »

Where were you two months ago?!

Wow, thats the best damn advice I've gotten ever. Last time I tried something like this, people kept commenting on a really crappy one that looked like universal studio's logo. Anyways. Thanks a lot! And, the first one was requested by somebody else, so don't look at me >.>

Thanks, I'm glad at least somebody understands my critique, and that it's not an attack, just my advice, even though at times I may be rather harsh and unforgiving.

Anyway also, another point, if an image is meant to be a background, then it is probably OK to have it centered, and maybe towards the bottom or top. It all depends on where other stuff in the image is, or the game or area outside of the background. So, now that I think about it, some of your later ones (TriRunner) that seem like they may be backgrounds, may be fine the way they are, They are simple and to the point.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 03:49:59 AM by Trash Man »

The first one is very offensive and disrespectful to our country. Get rid of it entirely.
Don't be stupid,

I don't get the first one.

They all look pretty good to me.

Don't be stupid,
I'm American, but I have to agee. How is it disrespectful, and how does it even make any sense? It just says -LEGO across it.

I'll tell you, just because I want people to understand me more, even though some don't deserve it.

This is to start off with a bad mood, to see if the person reading my stuff is paying attention, and if they aren't, then they will only respond and react to that statement, and none of my other stuff, showing that they have the attention span of a rock.

This poster passed the test, while others here did not. Also, I love being a jerk sometimes.

You just stated you're a complete friend. Stop denying it.

I'm patriotic, but I didn't find that first image offensive. Maybe you're an oversensitive cunt who needs to pass on your insecurity to others, hm?

Also, you can't blame the reader for being put off by the first sentence. It's your own stuffty writing. If it offends people right off the bat, how is it their fault if they don't keep reading? You're a stuffty writer using stuffty logic.

User was banned for this post

FINALLY I FIXED MY GRAMMATICAL ERROR.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:52:38 AM by Inv3rted »

You just stated you're a complete friend. Stop denying it.

I'm patriotic, but I didn't find that first image offensive. Maybe you're an oversensitive cunt who needs to pass on your insecurity to others, hm?

Also, you can't blame the reader for being put off by the first sentence. It's your own stuffty writing. If it offends people right off the bat, how is it there fault if they don't keep reading? You're a stuffty writer using stuffty logic.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

I agree with Trash Man. No need to be disrespectin' the declaration.

I agree with Trash Man. No need to be disrespectin' the declaration.
It should be my right as an American to tell the Declaration to suck my freshly shaven (pubic hair sucks) left nut.

[/liberal]

edit: That said, I have no idea what plastering -LEGO over the Declaration is supposed to mean.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 11:23:43 AM by Otis Da HousKat »

Hahahahaha Wahahaha Heh Hahahaha.

"Art critic" thinks "offensive" art should be censored.

Wahahaha ahahha haha ha.

I've seen people say worse things and not get banned.

That surprised me.

I've seen people say worse things and not get banned.

That surprised me.
Same.