Author Topic: Aftermath - A book I want to write.  (Read 4325 times)

It seems unrealistic that the protagonist doesn't get woken up by the flash of a nuke (which can burn the skin), the sound of a nuclear bomb, and cars being flipped. It also doesn't seem very realistic that the cars and the alarm clock were messed up, but the building was fine as well as the protagonist.

well.
this topic went to the dogs phenomenally fast.

It seems unrealistic that the protagonist doesn't get woken up by the flash of a nuke (which can burn the skin), the sound of a nuclear bomb, and cars being flipped. It also doesn't seem very realistic that the cars and the alarm clock were messed up, but the building was fine as well as the protagonist.
I never said anything about a nuclear blast.

well anything that turns cars over is going to result in one hell of a blast of some sort.

I like where this is going. My first suggestion is have the main character meet up with some new people affected by the air raid in various ways, perhaps one person who had foreseen the attack and already had his various plans made but was foiled by.... say, the attack had happened two days early. If you already have the whole plot in mind, disregard this bit.

All I see wrong is the short paragraphs, but what I'm seeing is probably the summary anyway. If this becomes a full book, I hope to see it elongated to perhaps twenty times the number of words I saw now.

Like you could prolong "I don't know how long I have slept, but I wake up, with the strong odor of smoke in my room." could become something like this:

Another day of waiting, just waiting for somebody to realize 'hey, what are we killing each other for anyway?' and listening to some report in Russia with some US soldier who had been killed by a shell to the heart, or a burning aircraft carrier, or today's report of the Russian Prime Minister refusing to talk about something despite a crowd of reporters swarming him like zombies with giant cameras broadcasting the scene to everywhere on the planet.
     The time is 3:12. I decide to take a nap. Worrying myself anymore about this bullstuff anymore won't help my fatigue. I lay down and drift off to sleep. At the time, I had no idea that I had just left my last hour of normal life. I do not know how long I slept, but the nightmare I was having suddenly became a subconscious hellscape of some kind, and I woke up with a start.
     I know immediately that something is wrong. My room is different, somehow. As my consciousness returns, I realize I am sitting in a haze of smoke and heat. I get out of bed and immediately feel a burning heat sear at my feet, so I leap back to my bed. I look for my shoes, and find a smoldering mess. I look at my alarm clock -- or rather, the space on my bedside table where my alarm clock was. The alarm clock is now a charred, burning, unrecognizable object on the floor. My closet is wide open, most of my cloths burnt and scattered.

Something like that.

NUKE IS FALLING? JUST GO TO BED. DON'T WORRY YOU WONT GET BLOWN UP; EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE ELSE WILL.

YOU'RE THE MAIN CHARACTER.

Chapters =/= Paragraphs

My heart skipping a beat every second

This is called BEING DEAD

If you're dead your heart doesn't beat...