Author Topic: V13/Blockland update suggestions  (Read 6754 times)

WHat if we let loose on the Setshapename(); but also make it so that it say's the clients name that changed the shapename in front? Example:
Say I had a bot that I wanted to change his name to Blockhead, So now I change the name and it now says Syntho's Blockhead.

I remener reading this in the suggestion thread, but what if you pressed a special key and the camera /spy 'd on the ghost brick? This could make it easier to build.

lol i thought the lattice was a standard 2x2x5 or whatever with a texture.
how much do the normal round bricks use? i use quite a few of them on my builds

love these

and the upside down one of these, and also upside down arches of the ones we currently have.

these

and the larger 8x4 triangular flat brick similar to this one

wings and hulls and corners and arches for all sorts of cool detail.
to hell with events, you kids got enough bells and whistles, i wanna build.
Bisjac has conveyed my wants and needs perfectly :o

I love how all the suggestions aren't ass wipe.

Badspot

• Administrator
  • GameConnection::getPlayerName() - It would be nice if the auth system referenced the client's base name, not what this function returns; the main practical use of having a function like this to me seems to be so I could parent it if I wanted to have custom names for an RPG mod or somesuch, but unfortunately doing this causes authfails without massive amounts of hacking. ie parenting workaround variables onto something like 20 other functions, and even then half of it doesn't seem to work perfectly.
The purpose of the moving the client name into a set/get function is to prevent people from changing it and impersonating other users.  Your name is your name.  You can't be an impersonating friend anymore.  Sorry. 

• BLB Downloading - Now I don't think this is likely to make it into V13, but come on, Badspot. You made this big format and it sees so little use because people have to go and find the right copy of the mod to see any of it - why hasn't this been in since the advent of BLBs? If people don't want to download them, it's not like you couldn't add a 'Download Custom Bricks' option.
The Torque resource manager is completely forgeted.  It took an incredible amount of effort just to be able to connect to a server, download files, and not crash (there are still some crash/invalid packet bugs in v12 that are fixed for v13).  I do not want to rewrite it right now.

• Event system upgrades - now I'm not 110% sure on this, but I believe that a lot of the WrenchEventsDlg is hardcoded so that new objects will cause problems. One could, in theory, add an input event logic/arguments dialog when you select an input event, but I don't believe that dynamically adding to the format of an event line in the GUI would be feasible.

On top of that, it may also be nice to have a 'Default Targets' list for adding targets like the Named Brick input (ie on every event), or a per-client list argument (like the named brick list but for event arguments and of other types). I know it seems like I'm whining, but this stuff may possibly allow for some quite unique event sets.
That isn't even coherent enough to read, let alone program. 

• That engine fix that Trader wanted since something like four versions ago.
Right, let me use my time traveling mind rays to figure out wtf you're talking about. 

• The ability to enable/disable default events
    Some default events may cause issues for specific servers running certain Add-Ons. An easy way to enable and disable events would be most appreciated by many.
unRegisterInputEvent(%class,%name)
unRegisterOutputEvent(%class,%name)

The purpose of the moving the client name into a set/get function is to prevent people from changing it and impersonating other users.  Your name is your name.  You can't be an impersonating friend anymore.  Sorry. 

Can you at least make it so you can change your name color or allow you to hide names without allowing people to change their name completely?

Wll what bout the new brick ideas? You didn't make a comment on those.

Badspot

• Administrator
Can you at least make it so you can change your name color or allow you to hide names without allowing people to change their name completely?
You can do both of those things.
%player.setShapeNameColor("R G B");
%player.setShapeNameDistance(distance);

I think M was trying to mainly get across the ability to add things to a user's name. For example, if I tried setting my shape name to "Badspot", it would instead set it to "Truce [Badspot]". This way it's much easier to display custom statuses/etc in different gamemodes.

Not sure if you have reasons of your own about why not to do that, but I personally think that'd both add features for modders and prevent impersonation at the same time.

Can you at least make it so you can change your name color

You can do that; I even made an event for that.
EDIT: Badspot answered you while I was posting.

You can do both of those things.
%player.setShapeNameColor("R G B");
%player.setShapeNameDistance(distance);

Oh. Now that I think about it, that makes sense, people have done that. D'oh.

unRegisterInputEvent(%class,%name)
unRegisterOutputEvent(%class,%name)

I was unaware of those functions. Thank you.

Badspot

• Administrator
I want %1 to work on client>chatmessage events ):

Done.