Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 328061 times)

RTB 3.X
RTB3 is finally out now, featuring the new Mod Manager, GUI Downloading, and the overhaul of basically the entire RTB framework. With a framework that actually works, it means I can focus on the more interesting stuff you guys have been looking forward to. This work had to be done at some point, and it wasn't a good idea to build anything else onto the old RTB2 framework because that too would have to have been re-done.

You'll notice there are a few things missing from RTB3 that were in RTB2, the main one I've heard about is the Server Information - this is not permanently removed and it will be back in 3.1 which is due in about 1-2 weeks. RTB 3.1 will also be addressing any issues raised as a result of RTB3.

Modding Documentation
http://returntoblockland.com/files/RTB_Documentation.pdf

RTB 4
RTB4 is more what you guys are waiting for. Part of the RTB Strategy is to release one large feature per version. V2 was well, RTB itself. V3 the new Mod Manager. Now I am proud to present V4, RTB Connect. Here's a brief synopsis of the features intended for this extension.

• Friends List - This will be very similar to how AIM or MSN works. You'll have a list with user-defined groups into which you can add your friends by Blockland ID. They will then receive an invitation to be friends (depending on their privacy settings) and then both of you will appear on eachother's friends lists along with other details such as online status, current server etc.

• Messaging - To compliment the Friends List, you will also be able to start conversations with friends on your friends list. The messaging may be quite rudimentary at first, and just contain basic messaging capabilities - nothing flashy like "winks" and "nudges" and all of that crap.

• File Sharing - Depending on quite a few factors, you may also be able to send Blockland files to eachother over the messenger, such as save files or screenshots.

• Chat Rooms - This is not yet confirmed as I haven't fully researched the capabilities of the server software we'll be using but it is something I will be pursuing regardless.

Accounts will work on a per-id basis. Each ID gets one RTB Connect account and this account may be accessed from outside the game using any Jabber/XMPP compatible chat client.

Previews
Here's a mock-up of the buddy list you'll be using for RTB Connect.

Anyway, feel free to discuss what you would and wouldn't like to see in RTB3/RTB4 below.

More Information
I will be periodically posting more information on our forums (http://forum.returntoblockland.com/) and our blog (http://returntoblockland.com) so you can check on those quite often.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:40:09 PM by Ephialtes »

For some reason RTB didnt try and auto update me from RTBv3b10RC2.

I think that's just because they're the same.

Well at least I don't get that annoying barred message anymore.

Well at least I don't get that annoying barred message anymore.
You shouldn't have had that message because you shouldn't have had the beta in the first place if you were barred.

Awesome ive always wanted a friends list for blockland.

Is there anyway to resize the mod manager? I don't play in fullscreen due to sudden urge to multi-task, so I play not fullscreen mode. The mod manager was fine before, but now for some reason its bigger than blockland making it not cloasable or anything. I made blockland full screen, and its still bigger than blockland. Anyway to fix this? And also no server info?

Is there anyway to resize the mod manager? I don't play in fullscreen due to sudden urge to multi-task, so I play not fullscreen mode. The mod manager was fine before, but now for some reason its bigger than blockland making it not cloasable or anything. I made blockland full screen, and its still bigger than blockland. Anyway to fix this? And also no server info?

What resolution are you playing in? (Blockland's, not your screen's.)

Let the friends list allow you to see what server that specific person is in >>