Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 333360 times)

I don't know where people are getting this idea from. RTB has never auto-deleted, disabled or warned you about failed add-ons. I'd initially put options to disable/enable it but never implemented the functionality. This update removed the options.
I just wanted to be sure because I saw this in my console log and wondered if I should back a couple of things up:
ERROR: fileDelete() - File "" is not in one of the default directories

Add-Ons/System_ReturnToBlockland/RTBC_ModManager.cs (8517): Unable to find object: '0' attempting to call function 'delete'
BackTrace: ->RTBMM_FileGrabber::onBinChunk

Add-Ons/System_ReturnToBlockland/RTBC_ModManager.cs (8517): Unable to find object: '0' attempting to call function 'delete'

Anyway, yes, I just started it up again and my mod list was blank. I have run it again to try get a console trace, but I got a buffer overrun instead. I can duplicate that consistently, too. Anyway, I just typed trace ingame, ran the mod manager, moved to the my mods menu, then exited.

Should I assume that it can be fixed the last time I had this exact same problem?

Should I assume that it can be fixed the last time I had this exact same problem?

Do you remember when that was? I can't find any posts about it but I know they exist somewhere.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=82529.msg1979552#msg1979552
That was my original post.

Also, I stopped that buffer overrun by disabling the RtB IRC, only to have it happen again when variable events started writing its help file apparantly. Could there be a bug in the engine regarding too much being outputted to the console at once?

That same fix I mentioned there should work again. My bad for forgetting to put it into v3.4. I'm curious about why it only seems to affect you though.

Could there be a bug in the engine regarding too much being outputted to the console at once?

Yep, definitely. That's our Torque.

LoL i went and found out for myself. It just gives you a ZIP in Add-ons Folder for me. And Ephialtes good job with the new Update!
NOW it starts showing it in "My Mods".Well its fixed now! XD

I searched through my add-ons folder and found 3 add-ons with a capitalized description. I fixed the bug by editing them and making them lowercase, but now I am unable to recreate the bug by making them capitalized again. Anyway, I'll go re-apply the mod manager fix.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:05:48 PM by -Jetz- »

Okay, the new content downloader downloaded the Script_Compass content zip.
And replaced my old Script_Compass zip, which was an updated version I'd been working on. My own fault for not keeping backups, but it would have deleted the original copy of Script_Compass, including the clientside code. I assume that it shouldn't download the content zip if the content already exists. I don't think it should download the content zip if there's no rtbInfo.txt in the client copy of the zip either - just a suggestion.

My most recent backup is a couple of months old, since it's on my external, but all I actually lost was the new serverside code. Hee... I panicked.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 07:49:51 PM by M »

Wait, so let me get this straight, will RTB download GUIs and Client-Sided code that's been uploaded to RTB? (For instance Rky's Client_Lister or Iban's CityRPG Gui)

Wait, so let me get this straight, will RTB download GUIs and Client-Sided code that's been uploaded to RTB? (For instance Rky's Client_Lister or Iban's CityRPG Gui)
No, it downloaded the images of Script_Compass (GUI Images) and no client code. It should download clientside code as well, however client add-ons should require manual validation every time so malicious code won't get out.

Okay, the new content downloader downloaded the Script_Compass content zip.
And replaced my old Script_Compass zip, which was an updated version I'd been working on. My own fault for not keeping backups, but it would have deleted the original copy of Script_Compass, including the clientside code. I assume that it shouldn't download the content zip if the content already exists. I don't think it should download the content zip if there's no rtbInfo.txt in the client copy of the zip either - just a suggestion.

My most recent backup is a couple of months old, since it's on my external, but all I actually lost was the new serverside code. Hee... I panicked.

I expected most people would be doing active development from a folder as opposed to re-packaging a zip each time some code was changed. Oh well, like you said - your fault. RTB needs to overwrite zips without rtbInfo.txt files because it doesn't know the version of content you have and needs to make sure you have the most up-to-date content available.

So the launch went pretty well, here's a couple of graphs to show the increase in file download activity:

http://forum.returntoblockland.com/brown townytics/graph_downloadStats.php
http://forum.returntoblockland.com/brown townytics/graph_contentDownloads.php

I'm going to look at streamlining the webserver's content serving and depending on traffic volume I may just get another webserver, throw a lightweight build of apache or lighttpd on it and use it purely for content distribution.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:52:07 AM by Ephialtes »

Maybe you should make a popup for replacing the current addon will loading. like 'X file already exist, override?' 'yes' 'no'.  And an option for enable&disable the popup.

Possibly - but then again any damage that would be done will have already been done.

Very nice update.

Content downloading is the most useful thing in this update.

Nice work Ephi :D

Ephi I have one bug. In the mod manager when I download content on mod manager they never work. It says "File - 404". So when I download Content from the server they won't download. Any help? This just happened with v3.4