Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 334412 times)

If you look in the RTB Manual under Credits, there's a pirate icon next to the list of Notable Testers.

Maybe Pirate Scallywag Mode has to do with testing future versions?

If you look in the RTB Manual under Credits, there's a pirate icon next to the list of Notable Testers.

Maybe Pirate Scallywag Mode has to do with testing future versions?

I actually noticed that, too, but that's not it. I will try to paraphrase a post someone made MANY months ago about it. He said that all checking it did was send some indiscriminate simple data to the server. Like $Happen = 1, that simple. Whatever it does is totally serverside, and it might not do anything at all. Ephialtes has no commented on it.

ephi, I'm running on a near-clean install of blockland on the OS Windows 7 64 bit OEM, and none of the chat buttons brought up by right clicking a player's name work.

so i can't do private chats, and the only way I can open general discussion is by disconnecting and reconnecting to RTB connect.

what gives lol, how do I fix this?

Maybe it was for us notable testers, it's how we became so good at testing.

ephi, I'm running on a near-clean install of blockland on the OS Windows 7 64 bit OEM, and none of the chat buttons brought up by right clicking a player's name work.

so i can't do private chats, and the only way I can open general discussion is by disconnecting and reconnecting to RTB connect.

what gives lol, how do I fix this?

Remove Iban's CityRP GUI. I posted this in the RTB4 thread but nobody reads it.

Remove Iban's CityRP GUI. I posted this in the RTB4 thread but nobody reads it.
Sorry Ephi.

Can you tell BlockBot to kick people who send two long messages in quick succession on the grounds that it's probably spam? I was gonna post a picture of Printer spamming the chat room to accompany this, but I see you responded to that.

Also, I've noticed "Off Topic" and "Looking For Servers" are getting almost no use. I doubt there's much to separate the concept of "Off Topic" with "General Discussion."

One idea you might look into for later versions is a "Notice Board" variant of a chat room, where instead of posting new messages, each person can have one message up on the "Board" at a time, and everyone who joins could see all of them immediately. Instead of posting new messages, you just modify your previous one. This would be more appropriate for a "Looking for Servers" section, and maybe for private rooms, it could be used as a clan announcement area or something.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:50:45 PM by -Jetz- »

Building on Jetz' idea, the notices could be clicked on to join that server. As a notice gets clicked on more, it moves up in the list of notices.

Building on Jetz' idea, the notices could be clicked on to join that server. As a notice gets clicked on more, it moves up in the list of notices.
Well, we don't want to replace the server browser, but the "Looking for Servers" section clearly won't work the way it is now.

Some other things came up in a discussion with Lub. I'm not sure what's on the to-do list at the moment, but here are some things that came up.
[15:06:58] * You have blocked Lub.
[15:07:02] Jetz: Blocked
* You can't send messages to people you've blocked.
[15:07:04] * You have unblocked Lub.
[15:07:10] Jetz: Send me a message
[15:07:10] * You have blocked Lub.
[15:07:19] Lub: fdgfdf
[15:07:21] * You have unblocked Lub.
[15:07:26] Jetz: Yep, definitely broken.

[15:12:36] Jetz: I think RTB has too many options menus.
[15:12:53] Lub: yeah deffo
[15:12:57] Lub: the separation makes sense
[15:13:01] Lub: but i think theres too many
[15:13:24] Jetz: He could merge them all into one with separate tabs.
[15:14:16] Jetz: One tab for general settings, one for RTB Connect, one for Individual Chat rooms, which gives you a list of all chat rooms you have access to and lets you pick which one then set stuff.
[15:14:36] Lub: more work though, i doubt it'll change from how it is
[15:14:48] Jetz: The normal options buttons could stay, linking to this bigger menu.
[15:14:57] Jetz: Yeah, it will probably stay for now, at least

[15:15:20] Jetz: The tabs need tooltips
[15:15:42] Jetz: Even if they are fairly obvious if you know what they would be.

[15:17:01] Jetz: It would also be pretty nice if the private chat windows were expanded a little. Maybe include the profile for the other person that they see on top of their RTB connect window.

<font:Verdana Bold:12>[15:33:30] <font:Verdana Bold:12>Jetz<font:Verdana:12>: Oh god copying text directly out of the chat window and pasting it elsewhere pastes the formatting tags with it.

I also think it may be wise to put some limit on /me usage. From what I've seen, one person starts using it, then someone else does, then everyone, then a huge menagerie of role playing starts, eventually descending into a love RP where everyone tries to one-up each other in a contest of describing themselves chainsawing someone's richard off in the most elaborate way possible.

Also, BlockBot apparently has a long word filter in her spam criteria. While it sometimes helps, it seems to be filtering long actual words that aren't spam, any other legit collection of text that doesn't use a space, and links.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:42:21 PM by -Jetz- »

i think there should be a friend "favorites" list. i have a LOT of friends, because i want people to be able to message me when they need me, so i accept any request. but I actually have friends in blockland who i talk to much more than people i just accept. i would like to have a favorites thing where names are colored green and at the top of the list.

you should be able to message anyone imo but have an option to not accept messages from non-friends

i want people to be able to message me when they need me, so i accept any request.

?

?
didn't see that, my fault. a favorites would still be helpful.

didn't see that, my fault. a favorites would still be helpful.
Well now you can have the pleasure of deleting dozens of friends. The only drawback to having that checked is that the block feature doesn't seem functional for the moment, so don't piss anyone off yet.