Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 335103 times)

Initially I was intending to use Jabber/XMPP for the backend of the chat system but the way the protocol works didn't really suit my intentions for RTB Connect and in the end I wrote my own protocol + server. In the far future I hope to put together some sort of Pidgin plugin so people can use the chat system externally but that is a long way off since I don't know how to write Pidgin plugins.
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins
Scroll To Bottom of page
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:08:59 PM by Max4344 »

30 copies of the game.

Major issue, left unfixed.

RTB4 doesn't yet have a dedicated auto-updater so guess who's going to be manually updating 30 games anyway? Yep, you.

Might be possible to write and run locally a python script (or other language) that acts like a regular IRC server, internally translating messages to/from the protocol and passing them on to the RTB chat servers in the RTB Connect protocol.

The whole idea behind RTB Connect is the friends list and proper authentication which both won't work on an IRC server. I'm not interested in some stuffty makeshift solution.

http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins
Scroll To Bottom of page

Perfect thanks, now I know everything. The plugin should be ready next week!

Perfect thanks, now I know everything. The plugin should be ready next week!
While you're at can you make one for empathy too? There's no plugin system as far as I can see, so you'll need to build it yourself. This should give you all the information you need: http://live.gnome.org/Empathy#Developers

Wait, can you make a web chat messenger too? Here's a tutorial on how to script in JavaScript, that should help a lot: http://www.w3schools.com/js/
I've heard lots of good things about the accuracy of w3schools' tutorials, so that should help you get it done in a week or so.

I've always had this prejudice against messengers like Pidgin because I'd find people on them can have a lesser experience than being on the actual messenger it is linking. Some focus on simply supporting of chat, and you must find a slow to update plugin for the other main features of the messenger not provided. With WLM for example, I can not photoshare with some Pidgin users, forcing the roundabout route of uploading it to a site and linking them despite the built-in feature of the first-party messenger. Basically, I don't like having to sacrifice various provided conveniences for the single convenience of putting it in one messenger.

I bring this up to ask that could there be more than just a Pidgin plugin? Maybe just a section of RTB's site where you can talk utilizing your account. I apologize if my statements are at all troublesome, I know it's extremely petty to fret over the points I listed, and it does not need to be taken if you don't believe it's valid.

Edit: I took a while to type this. I basically asked the same thing as Zack did in his second paragraph, but with my statement in a less intelligent fashion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:35:46 AM by MegaScientifical »

I have no idea if I'll even make this Pidgin plugin at all. It was a monumental amount of work making one client - it doens't get easier making another. Pidgin looks to be the most extensible and I'm sure as hell not fiddling around with JavaScript to get some web-based system working.

RTB Connect was not intended to replace msn and skype and AIM and all that stuff, it's for talking to people in Blockland. Talking to people in Blockland from outside Blockland was never one of my aims and will take a back seat to everything else I do.

Brian smith said the way to fix my problem is to reenter my key, imma do that in a bit

That is not a valid solution. Do what I said before.

That is not a valid solution. Do what I said before.
Okay, I can actually just list the addons I have, other then default: Rapid Fire, In Game Server switch and RTBV4

Can you post your console.log too? I want to be absolutely certain.

Can you post your console.log too? I want to be absolutely certain.
Okay, i'll have to do it afterschool.

RTB4 doesn't yet have a dedicated auto-updater
Are you kidding me?

I just remembered: Did you ever have IRC Notifier Crap-On'd or disable it by default for everyone? I remember when RTB4 first publicly launched, some people told me they were getting errors and when I asked, it turned out it was because IRC Notifier having problems since the GUIs changed. Never checked back to see if it was fixed.

Here is my console.log

Edit: I took a while to type this. I basically asked the same thing as Zack did in his second paragraph, but with my statement in a less intelligent fashion.
I wasn't being serious. The w3schools thing was a webdev inside joke with Ephi.