Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 328266 times)

For this coming Saturday I'll be aiming to make the Groups view for the Your Mods area. Here's a brief run-down of how it'll work:

- You'll have a new section similar to Your Mods called "Groups".
 - There will be a button to create new Groups which you can then name.
 - You can then press "Add Mods" and be given a list of all your mods which you can tick to add to the group.
 - You can then remove individual mods from a group, or empty the entire group and start over.
 - Each group will have a disable/enable. This is where things get complicated.

Enabling a group will just tick all the add-ons within that group, and disabling the group will untick them all. So if you enable one group, then disable another, any add-ons in both groups will be disabled.

I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do this is, so ideas or thoughts are welcome.

Enabling a group will just tick all the add-ons within that group, and disabling the group will untick them all. So if you enable one group, then disable another, any add-ons in both groups will be disabled.

I'm not entirely sure what the best way to do this is, so ideas or thoughts are welcome.

That sounds good; people can always press the "None" button on their add-ons list before enabling a group (or two). I do suggest you add a button near the add-on options (like "None", "Default", etc) that says "Groups", and as the name suggests, opens the groups window.

I had taken the Event Favorites add-on and re-purposed it as a hacky add-on favorites tool for when I want to go from a skiing server to a deathmatch server, but the groups idea seems like it it will work in a more efficent way.

The add-ons that are enabled/disabled are all in config/server/ADD_ON_LIST.cs, right? You just have to modify those to choose which are picked?

I'm not sure what you mean. The code I have already written, I'm just wondering how people would like to see it from a usability perspective.

When disabling a group that's add-ons were just activated in another group you should be prompted with a list of those add-ons and the opinion to continue or cancel.

I'm not sure what you mean. The code I have already written, I'm just wondering how people would like to see it from a usability perspective.

Here's a way to do it:

Simply allow users to order the groups the way they want.  Groups higher in the list would have a higher priority, so they take precedence over the others.  If a lower group turns an add-on OFF but a higher group turns it ON, the add-on is ON.  Likewise, if a lower group turns an add-on ON but a higher group turns it OFF, the add-on is OFF.

To make this even more user-friendly, allow viewing of the groups by priority and alphabetically.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:37:44 AM by Trader »

Within config/server/ADD_ON_LIST.cs, there are a bunch of global variables with all add-ons. Do you just modify those before starting a server to control which mods are executed?

I don't think a group should keep track of add-ons in it that are off, just add-ons that are on. People group add-ons into as many groups as they want. Then they turn on the groups they want. All the mods from the group are enabled. If a mod is in a single group that is enabled, it is turned on, even if the other groups it's in aren't turned on.

Suppose I have two groups. Pirate weapons and ninja weapons. Pirate weapons contains a sword and a gun. Ninja weapons contains a sword and a staff. If both Pirates and Ninjas are turned on, the game will have swords, guns and staffs. If I only turn Ninjas on, the game will have swords and staffs. If I only turn Pirates on, I will only have guns and swords. If I have none on, I will have no weapons.

Alternatively, a checklist system. People load checklists and it automatically enables all of the mods on it. People can then turn off the ones they don't want or disable all addons and start from scratch. The game should come with a default addons checklist. No dealing with priorities or multiple groups, it's just a simple script that enables all the addons in it and skips the ones that are already enabled. Checklists should not be able to disable addons.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:09:10 PM by Wedge »

I'm going to push back this Saturday's release of RTB 3.3 to a later date because I'm optimizing a portion of the Mod Manager GUI Builder. It should reduce the number of controls needed to construct the mod manager and make the whole thing load faster and with less stand-still lag - especially in the YourMods section. I know some of you guys have like, 100+ add-ons so it must be pretty horrible lag.

I get in console AUTH checks every like two minutes and RTB checks and it freezes the game for a second

I had this happen when v9 came out

Can you post a console.log of this, after typing trace(1); in the console?

You mean after I recreate the problem also?

cause it seems to only do it sometimes you start a server but once it starts it will keep on having the error so I can't recreate it at the moment
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:25:34 PM by Flying Ace »

edit: still tracing Good grief how long does it take
You're handicapped.

instead of being jackass why don't you just tell me what I should do

Anyway
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:15:15 PM by Flying Ace »