RTB Development

Author Topic: RTB Development  (Read 328269 times)

There will never be a true competitor to rtb. And most of he things that were suggested but not made had a serious downside or problem, like download saving.

RTB will never have a competitor because it's a free service and competition doesn't make any damn sense in context.

If someone thinks they can do something better they should just go do it. Pretty sure Ephialtes has said this himself.

I'm not sure why anyone's saying competition anyways. RTB is something that should work along-side any kind of add-on, even one like itself. No one is going to pick one over the other, considering some of their friends will have RTB. There's absolutely no reason to split a mod made for easy community access. We do not need two friends lists, or two mod managers. Anyone making a second one is wasting time. Anyone who deletes RTB for the second one will only be inconveniencing themself.

Something like TDM and Slayer sounds more like competition.  They clearly do not support each other, nor do they support each other's gamemodes.

Something like TDM and Slayer sounds more like competition.  They clearly do not support each other, nor do they support each other's gamemodes.
Except that one is completely obsolete in comparison to the other, thus causing an unfair advantage towards Slayer.

Except that one is completely obsolete in comparison to the other, thus causing an unfair advantage towards Slayer.

Perhaps feature-wise, however TDM is far more stable.

All this talk of competition brings up one question for me.
Are player chat rooms ever going to be made? Why or why not?

Another idea
TeamConnect

So i could talk to a 2 friends at once
Maybe this will be when  Chat Rooms are introduced

All this talk of competition brings up one question for me.
Are player chat rooms ever going to be made? Why or why not?

Yes, and because people want them.

So i could talk to a 2 friends at once

Group chat is a pain in the ass and doesn't fit into my current architecture, I'll need to do some heavy refactoring to integrate it.

I've pushed out a new RTB update (v4.02 I think), changes are as follows:

Code: [Select]
- Networking no longer packages TCPObject namespace (fixes onDisconnect console warnings)
Thank you for fixing this. It is much appreciated.
I fixed that lack of parentheses as one person that should not be mentioned by name was not capable to point it out

Thank you for fixing this. It is much appreciated.
I also thank, the console spam was kinda annoying.

RTB will never have a competitor because it's a free service and competition doesn't make any damn sense in context.

Yes it does. Free or not, what RTB rules over much of the modding community, all of the in-game communications department, and has its grips in what is surely more than half of all servers hosted at any one time.

Competition would allow users to have more influence on what is added to the mod, which I'd support.

I don't think competition will ever exist, just because RTB offers file hosting as part of its web services. Most people wouldn't pay money to run a mod they couldn't easily profit from.

and has its grips in what is surely more than half of all servers hosted at any one time.
Quite a lot more than half!

http://returntoblockland.com/stats.php?p=servers

Any competitors will only result in a hundred pages of drama, teen angst, and a locking of the topic. RTB will always be safe.

Competition would allow users to have more influence on what is added to the mod, which I'd support.
competition doesn't guarantee more user participation in development

Yes it does. Free or not, what RTB rules over much of the modding community, all of the in-game communications department, and has its grips in what is surely more than half of all servers hosted at any one time.

I don't think competition will ever exist, just because RTB offers file hosting as part of its web services. Most people wouldn't pay money to run a mod they couldn't easily profit from.
It's not competition and you don't understand what competition is. Traditional economic concepts don't make sense in the context, because using RTB is not exclusive over using other mods, RTB is not for profit, and market share isn't especially relevant. It makes no difference if RTB has10 users or 30000. There is a point where Ephialtes will decide the cost of hosting and time on development isn't worth it for the number of users using it, but it's not a specific number and it's entirely up to Ephi to decide.

RTB isn't a business. If a mod with some or all of RTB's features came out, RTB wouldn't look to provide incentives for users to stay. If it was a bad mod, RTB would maintain development with no changes. If it was good, RTB would either expand into new, non-overlapping features to provide more utility for Blockland users, merge, or discontinue. Ephialtes has said himself that he would consider content and patches submitted by users if he decided the quality was good enough. Surprise, nobody's contributed anything yet.

I don't want to derail the thread further so if you still don't see why Blockland mods don't really compete, feel free to PM me.