Author Topic: XLR Microphone - does not work on computer. Help?  (Read 3269 times)

I've been desperate for mics in Steam games, and I found one laying around the house that came with an old copy of Pinnacle Studio 6. It's an XLR Microphone, with a cable that has XLR to Computer Adio. But for some reason, nothing goes through and it doesn't work at all.

Anyone here know a way to get this to work?

EDIT: I read online that this does not require Phantom Power.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:10:40 PM by MackTheHunter »

I've been desperate for mics in Steam games, and I found one laying around the house that came with an old copy of Pinnacle Studio 6. It's an XLR Microphone, with a cable that has XLR to Computer Adio. But for some reason, nothing goes through and it doesn't work at all.

Anyone here know a way to get this to work?
It probably needs Phantom power.  Basically its power that travels to the mic through the same wires the signal returns on.  You'll probably need a little box that has an XLR male, XLR female, and a DC power jack.  Like this:

It probably needs Phantom power.  Basically its power that travels to the mic through the same wires the signal returns on.  You'll probably need a little box that has an XLR male, XLR female, and a DC power jack.  Like this:
-Cut-

I'll see if I have one of those laying around. What about a Firebox, would that work for phantom power?

EDIT:

This is what I have. Are you sure you need Phantom power for that?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:25:41 PM by MackTheHunter »

I'll see if I have one of those laying around. What about a Firebox, would that work for phantom power?

EDIT:

This is what I have. Are you sure you need Phantom power for that?
The mic needs the phantom power to function properly.  So unless your computer injects phantom power into the mic jack then yes, you do need the phantom power box.
If your Firebox dohicky says it has phantom power then it does.  Google your mic model and see if it needs phantom power.

If its a Condenser microphone then yes, it has to have phantom power.

post a picture of the mic and a model name.

Sorted it out, I got a new computer mic anyways. <3 my dad :D