Author Topic: I think Blockland is awesome!  (Read 2066 times)

I know.The subject is weird.But anyone who has praise,I took out the stopper
on the bottle and let it out.Personaly,this is my paraise:
    BADSPOT IS THE AWESOMEST PERSON IN THE COMPUTER WORLD!

You forgot your signature.

somthing different
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:52:53 PM by ladios »

somthing different
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 08:53:00 PM by ladios »

if ladios ever pinched me he'd be in the boiling pot

I just dropped by to say, keep up the good work.

I spent many, many long hours on TRIBES 2 playing construction mod, until chronic Unhandled Exceptions forced me away. I still consider it my favorite game ever... and I'm quite the gaming fan.

Only blockland has ever held a candle in construction, and I had loads of fun back when TBM was still big. After you managed to scare everyone off of it over a little DRM, I went off on my way, but hope lives on.

Retail looks like it has everything I appreciated about TBM, and it looks like I should finally be able to make my enormous 800X600 pixel murals if the performance is improved as much as it appears to be. I'm buying at least one copy, to be sure.

So, uh, yeah... keep up the good work. Oh hey also, it'd be cool if you built-in resource protection so people don't have to go to the lengths TBM did. Then again, if you're one of them open-source guys, more power to you.  :cookieMonster:

Badspot

• Administrator
Note: This part is yellow because its a tired old subject.
It wasn't just a little drm.  The quivalent would be me doing something like making it so Blockland deletes the T2 construction mod because 1 guy who played it copied something from Blockland.  At any rate, you don't get to have DRM on mods because they are by definition a derivative work.  Also, you're biting the hand that feeds you when you take an open-source work, modify it, then release it as closed-source.

The only way resource protection for mods could work is if I implemented something like RSA signing for all executed script code.   In that case, I would have to approve all mods which is not something I want to spend time doing.   It would also make mod development difficult.

If I let people encrypt their own stuff, then people would be able to hide malicious code which would be even worse.  What I want to do is make it impossible to run unofficial dso files. That way any malicious code can be discovered quickly.  Credit should be handled through some social means, such as a mod wiki, rather than technological means. 

Weapons and items are now placeable through the building system.  So if you add some new things, theres no need to go through and change a bunch of script files or alter the maps.  I plan to have an add-on directory so you can just drop in the new files and go.   This should cut down on the "mod packing" phenomenon.