Author Topic: Landing gear  (Read 904 times)

Landing gear on planes that folds and unfolds would be cool, your in a dogfight and you coming back to repair your plane, you press space bar and your landing gear unfolds, (a message on a screen saying "unfolding landing gear" would be nice) you slow down and safly on the runway, not wasting the plane and you.

Nice idea, especially the slowing down part... landing at high speeds can prove to be rather diffucult

Its an Awesome IDEA!But to be honest most planes as soon as the rear wheels or even the front ones touch done the plane kind of auto stops, Thats most of them atleast. I do think a landing gear would be excellent maybe on click?Good luck.

thanks  :cookieMonster: , do you know why the plane stops automaticly, can it be removed?

thanks  :cookieMonster: , do you know why the plane stops automaticly, can it be removed?
It all depends upon the angle you land on

I don't know if wheel hub nodes can be moved in animation, I think this calls for some experiments!

do you have irc? because i'd like to be a beta tester

No offense, I didnt catch it but Itd be more realistic to say "Extending Landing Gear", "Retracting Landing Gear" Those are the terms for langing gear going up or down. I just know because I play alot of FSX :)

hmmm, your right those term are in Blazing Angels

i agree, this would be an awesome mod in BL, however, maybe in some planes, like some that dont fire, could the default fire button be able to make it use the animation?
(like for planes that dont fire)

It's possible to animate regular nodes, so couldn't you animate some wheel nodes too?  The only real problem I see is what would happen if a person landed without landing gear, then tried to deploy it.  I like the idea though.

It'd be so loving complicated. The easiest way would probably make it a player type vehicle. Sounds weird... but heres an explanation. With custom modeled playertypes, you can have walk forward animations, walk backward animations, activate animation(we can use this, like when the blockhead clicks the arm thing happens, when the plane clicks the gears come down/up). Heres where a stuffload of scripting comes in. Make it a player type that doesnt show up in the minigame playertypes or change datablock to, and instead it shows up as a vehicle. I'm like 15% sure this will work :D

Or just do what Strato did with the headcrab lol

It's possible to animate regular nodes, so couldn't you animate some wheel nodes too?  The only real problem I see is what would happen if a person landed without landing gear, then tried to deploy it.  I like the idea though.

You deploy the gear while landed without it and physics cut in(Blockland Physics) and the plane bounces up into the air and flips lol, Not good.

Didn't that Corvette vehicle thing have animations with the space bar? This should be fairly easy. But, we would need to make a custom model, so editing every plane in Blockland? Hell naw. Maybe 5 most popular ones can be edited with landing gear though.

Good idea.  Especially the slow down part.