Author Topic: Dogfight servers - What are they in you're eyes?  (Read 2742 times)

Now do it with the Atlantic ocean separating you and the host.
Indeed.

Despite the awesomeness of Torque's internet multiplayer capabilities, anyone with ping over 200 can not expect to enjoy this at all. As someone who uses various ISPs ranging from 50-2000ms latency, I can say from personal experience that dogfight servers need to have ultra-high bandwidth dedicated hosting to have a chance at maintaining operable latency with enough people to actually have fun.

Heh, I started knowing Jorgur's dogfght since V9...
Fun times in Jorgur's, I kept crashing into Red Army's base with the stunt plane to get the flame thrower :3

i have an idea for radar, maybe you could spot the base
*Cough*CompassMod*Cough*

I thought it was actually races that increased, but I guess the majority of dogfights have increased too.

Jorgurs Dogfight is terrible.
Quite.

But it could be much better. It needs:

Balanced teams. Half the time, one team has literally one hundred more points than the other because it has 20 members while the other team has 7.

No team killing. I have learned from experience that most of the people who play on that server (at least while I am) are immature to the point where they just set off HE grenades in their own team's spawn just for fun.

A goal. I find myself flying towards the enemy team's base thinking "this time, I'll make it!" and when I do, I am immediately disappointed. I just flew all the way across the slopes to spawn kill the other team, and nothing else. Why not something interesting, like capturing their base, or stealing their flag? TDMs where the goal is to reach a certain number of points by killing enemy team members only works if the arena is right for it. Jorgurs dogfight is not right for this goal because, once again, you arrive at the base and are left with nothing to do but spawn kill.

Less weapons. Every damn weapon under the sun is available to both teams from the start. Why not make it interesting and hide certain weapons around, instead of letting anyone just pick up a rocket launcher, minigun, and three HE grenades from the moment they spawn?

I've never been able to play in a DogFight server properly, before. Purely because my computer is stuff and slow, so Lag is so common, that by the time I can see what's going on, I've been shot down, or crashed into a mountain. :/

Tom

Jorgurs Dogfight gets credit for being one of the first ones.

I like jorgurs dogfights because of the part that you can be a spy.

I don't fly often. I commonly A. Jump on a aircraft and try to shoot passing planes. B. Sit and wait for planes or others vehicles to come and shoot them.

Dogfight is about to change quite a bit.

I have already fixed the distance issue. Red base is one mountain closer to Blue, so you will arrive at the battle much sooner. Team killing has been disabled for good.

I tried adding a goal; the high scores board. But because there are so many cheap ways to gain points, people just abused all possibilities and grinded their way up the list.
I want Dogfight to be a place of freedom, as some people say, not a chase for stats or achievements.

I know infiltrating the bases has been way too easy since the beginning. Measures have been taking to avoid this. With the advent of JVS doors and team allow events, you now have to use your wits (or explosives) to gain entrance to the enemy bases. But no matter what the builds are like, many will often experience a lack of challenge because of the difference in skill among the players.

Please post more of your comments. They are always helpful for improving the server. :)

I really hate pretty much all dogfights unless i stand at my base and snipe people out of there planes

I really hate pretty much all dogfights unless i stand at my base and snipe people out of there planes
My thought to.

I hate dogfights.

Maybe because I suck at them.

Dogfight is about to change quite a bit.

I have already fixed the distance issue. Red base is one mountain closer to Blue, so you will arrive at the battle much sooner. Team killing has been disabled for good.

I tried adding a goal; the high scores board. But because there are so many cheap ways to gain points, people just abused all possibilities and grinded their way up the list.
I want Dogfight to be a place of freedom, as some people say, not a chase for stats or achievements.

I know infiltrating the bases has been way too easy since the beginning. Measures have been taking to avoid this. With the advent of JVS doors and team allow events, you now have to use your wits (or explosives) to gain entrance to the enemy bases. But no matter what the builds are like, many will often experience a lack of challenge because of the difference in skill among the players.

Please post more of your comments. They are always helpful for improving the server. :)

Use CTF gamemode for a better challenge. Using the bag flag not the hammer one.