Author Topic: Connecting a client to another server?  (Read 3025 times)

Well, say you had a huge rpg or something, and it was so big it actually messed with engine limitations (such as number of bricks, or bots) so to fix that, could you possibly connect a client to another server with a function? It would be nice to have servers for each "zone" in an rpg, and it would be very fast.

Well, If you did this, it would be nice if there was a way to hide a server from the master server so it doesn't spam peoples server list, and they can't get into them. (I guess you could password the other servers)

%client.connect("ip:port"); (I'm not sure if :port is needed)
It always crashes for me though :(

EDIT: Yup you need port

Yea, I was just thinking about how a huge rpg would work, and it wouldn't be that hard. You could also have different zones use different slates with this. (ooh ideas)

I had a discussing with someone about this, you'd have to send over all sorts of infomation like your inventory, current status from the last server (depending on what the RPG/whatever is). Overall I would think it'd require a engine change. Though that's only what I can gather with my experience.

Well, If I had this all running on the same PC, (I'm not worrying about bandwidth yet, just engine limitations in one game) I would have the server check a text file shared by all of the servers to get the information.

If only we had badspots power, for a possible engine change, or the holy solution, a big pwnage /512 server.

If I did say, 5 servers for an rpg, make them each 32 players, the game could have up to 160 players, (evenly distributed)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:29:10 PM by Zenthos »

If you were using a clustered server to create your mod, might as well go all the way and use an SQL server for player data as well.

If you were hosting all the servers wouldn't they have the same ip?

Probobly

Yea, well this was an Idea so I wasn't planning on making the system exactly like this. But it has gotten some good ideas.

It comes down to as I mentioned, trying to connect a player to another server crashes the client. Maybe you could have it they have to earn the ability to go to that server (otherwise kicking them) instead of connecting them when they enter a zone.

eg. You have to kill the dragon in the desert to visit the snowy mountains to the north. Then when they do, they are able to join the server.

Things you'll need:

Hosting several servers. hurpdurp
An external non Blockland server for storing user information. PHP connected to MySQL, or something else?
Preventing user access to other servers if they're already on another, till they leave that other server. To prevent any errors.
Client sided code for switching servers. As Destiny said in his first post, this crashes. That's because he probably forgot to make the client leave the server first before entering the other one.
Dealing with LAN clients. Perhaps accounts not based on BL_ID?
Forcing clients to have the client sided code.

All of this is possible.

As Destiny said in his first post, this crashes. That's because he probably forgot to make the client leave the server first before entering the other one.

All of this is possible.

lol'd

Yea this is the kind of response I was hoping to get with this topic, it would be cool. I would make the servers only let people in if I used a certain function (I'd have to code this, and Im not totally sure what I would do right now) that the server would allow people in to.

Again, it would be nice if there was a way to hide servers from the master list. I would just name a server "Blockquest - Main" and joining it would be kind of the hub for the game, then clicking play or whatever would connect you to the server where your current location was.

God this would be so awesome, you could make an rpg with like, 1000+ bots total and craploads of quests.

lol'd

Yea this is the kind of response I was hoping to get with this topic, it would be cool. I would make the servers only let people in if I used a certain function (I'd have to code this, and Im not totally sure what I would do right now) that the server would allow people in to.

Again, it would be nice if there was a way to hide servers from the master list. I would just name a server "Blockquest - Main" and joining it would be kind of the hub for the game, then clicking play or whatever would connect you to the server where your current location was.

God this would be so awesome, you could make an rpg with like, 1000+ bots total and craploads of quests.
This would be epic.

lol'd

You could make the servers passworded, or unless it's possible to overwrite the posting function so the server wont ever show on the list.

You could make the servers passworded, or unless it's possible to overwrite the posting function so the server wont ever show on the list.
But then if someone uses the password, they can screw everything up and connect