Poll

Should I make a PVP RPG to test engine?

Yes
5 (71.4%)
No
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Blockquest - The Generic, in Depth, Medieval RPG  (Read 5263 times)

I've been working on this for a hell of a long time, and since I have been enlightened by scripting, I can actually make it not based around events for all of my processes. I just use events so that I have an easy way to develope stuff In-game once I have the system done. I have posted different versions of it before, but they haven't been this far and I didn't understand that much about coding.

Gameplay:

The game is supposed to be fun, not a clicking grind or the same quests over and over, Idk what I'm going to do for professions yet (like, mining/woodcutting), but If I had them I would try to make the most fun gathering skill possible... I have no clue how yet.

My goal is to make this about 8 hours of gameplay, from 1 to 20, people probably do not want a dedicated rpg (like wow) in BL. 8 hours may seem like a lot, but thats like 3 days of playing normal amounts.

In the World:

There are probably going to be 6 zones, each with a dugeon, and a PVP Area.

Sketched up Map:

The colored outlines are for different servers I may host it on, if the Idea is possible. (I will talk about it later.)
I only have Sunshire Valley built (I will be in it in the picture below).

Classes & Spells:

The Knight

The knight is a defensive class, used for tanking and leading the way.
They gain energy by using their basic attack - (Similar to warriors in games like WoW)

-   Attack

Just a swing of the Sword that does 5 damage.

Styles:

-   Thrust

A strong attack that does 20 damage.
20 energy.

The Hunter

Similar to a rogue/ranger in most rpgs, they do the most damage and can get around traps.
Gets energy rapidly, but spends it rapidly, so you are constantly having to switch attacks.

Abilities:

-   Shoot

A basic shot of the bow that does 8 damage.
Costs nothing.

-   Aimed Shot

A focus shot that does 17 damage.
50 energy.

- Stealth

A special ability, which hides the Player from other users or monsters.
Out of combat for 5 seconds.

The Wizard

A difficult class to play, even though a lot of people will play them.
Used for crowd control, healing, and some damage.
I know it makes no sense lore wise to make the wizard heal, but I wanted 3 fundamental classes.
They are spell dependant, so they can go through a whole fight on one pool of energy.

Spells:

-   Water Bolt

A simple water spell that does 17 damage.
1 second cooldown and 10 energy.

-   Fire Ball

A powerful fire spell that does 35 damage.
2 second cooldown and 20 energy.

Upgraded - does 15 more damage.

-   Freeze

A weak spell, but it does cause someone a lot of trouble when they can't move.
5 second cooldown, 50 energy.

Upgraded - Costs 20 energy.

Other

Here is an ingame pic of a mage:

I don't care about your screen stretching.

There is an energy bar, then an HP bar, at the bottom it tells you your exact amount.

At level 20 you have 4600 hp (if I remember right), so if you want to see your exact hp I guess.
(No, I only use 3 playertypes for this rpg, one for each class not level.)

There is an issue I have, I don't have the bottom bar updating on a schedule, so its doesn't have the energy updated because it last updated when the energy was 13%.

On the right of this scene is the rest of the Sunshire valley zone, theres not much to see except a huge empty valley with a lake.

Comments

I do not take credit for the wizard spells, they are basically recoded (energy system wise) versions of Amades spells, since I like the style and I am not an artist. I can make basic pictures, like the ones used for the spell Icons.

I would appreciate help, I am not going to put up a roster thing because I think thats pretty dumb, but help with maybe some animations (if I decide different spells for the Hunter/Knight need animations) and building.

I need suggestions for spells, since I need at least 5 - 8 for each class.

I may or may not update the main post immediatly, except for new things like spells and class information, so check the topic.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:01:19 PM by Zenthos »

A spell for mage: Meteor Strike, makes one Meteor 'come' from space and hit the ground where the spell hit, causes 2000 damage and 100% energy.
An arrow for hunter: Meteor Arrow, makes one Meteor 'come' from space and hit the ground where the arrow hit, causes 2000 damage and 100% energy.
An attack for knight: Earthquake, causes earthquake that hurts everybody but you, 2000 damage 100% energy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:30:53 PM by Pi »

Pi - shhh

The damage on these spells is what they are at level one, they scale up at level.

So at level 20 I've hit 1200 with the fire ball, its pretty cool actually. (the game rolls between 3/4 and 1.5 of the normal damage, with a chance of a critical strike which rolls 1.75 - 2.5 of normal damage, like most rpgs.)

All of the spells are actually different weapons, they just use the same model to give a feel for different spells. I have upgraded the player to have 10 slots for future spells.

I need some serious spells to include, I have a root, fast attack, slow nuke, and Im going to make an Icon and put Amades blind spell into the package once I have some more spells. I don't want half of the spells to be crowd control.

I think I'm going to work on a simple heal tomorrow, just heals 35 HP. (Based on damage stat, so if a level 1 healed a level 20 it wouldn't heal 35% of his hp. like, 35/4600.)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:43:41 PM by Zenthos »

What's highest level?

And my spells are serious. >:(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 08:44:50 PM by Pi »

Oh duh forgot to say some stuff.

The highest level is 20, but I guess you could look at the map I posted.

The stats on your character are:

Damage (coeffecient for damage, damage you to is multiplied by this stat)
Defence (coeffecient for defence, damage done to you is divided by this stat)
AttackPower (increases each hit done by that amount)
Armor (the damage done to you is subtracted armor)
Intellected (Only used by mages, increases mana pool)

With these stats I have basically gotten around datablocks, A level 20 truely has 100 hp, but when a level one (that has lower stats) hits them, it will divide a bigger Defence with a smaller Damage, so if you hit 20 on a level 20 with a damco of 50, it would only do 0.4 damage, but in Blockquest everything is multiplied by the victums defence, so it would would say you took 20 damage away from 4600 (a level 20s hp).

Ok wow I don't even understand what I just said.

You get my spells at level 20.

You do realize your server is dead?

You do realize your server is dead?

Yea, I realized that a while ago because we got a new router, and noone has joined my server all day.

Ill try to fix I guess.

Ok just figured it out, accidently set the port to 28000 and 280032, not 28000 to 28032.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:25:40 PM by Zenthos »

I remember this... a looooooong time ago. Good times.

"13.294"
You should round it or something, that looks silly. Although having health and energy on the bottom and top right seems redundant anyway.

"13.294"
You should round it or something, that looks silly. Although having health and energy on the bottom and top right seems redundant anyway.

Yea I will round it for the display. Also there is a console log that displays damage as you hit people, and I need to make it say DEFLECT when you hit zero, and CRIT - (dam) when you crit.

Currently I am working on the group system, which will allow you to do dungeons and split loot, and exp.

(they will be parties of 3)

Idk what I'm going to do for professions yet (like, mining/woodcutting), but If I had them I would try to make the most fun gathering skill possible... I have no clue how yet.
This is exactly what I ran into making my RPG. If you come up with any good ideas, let me know.

On that note, could you elaborate on your plan for dungeons?

Edit: inb4people-suspect-I'm-trying-to-steal-ideas
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:41:12 PM by rkynick »

Edit: whoops rky thought you quoted my groups post, oh well. heres some info

Well, I'm storing the groups into script objects which are in an array, so it looks like this.
$Blockquest::Group[%leader].Member = %client;
which would then make the 2nd member the client, because the first is .Leader.
I will design things to spread loot and exp along multiple users, but so far I have creating a group, inviting (or joining), leaving, and displaying the members.
I am testing now, I will report when (not if) it works.

Well, for dungeons I am probably going to put 1 for each zone, and if the game ends up using multiple servers (again, if its possible) I may make a server just for dungeons, then when you enter a dungeon it will connect you to that server. The dungeons will be similar to most mmos today, trash mobs that drop items sometimes and bosses.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:50:14 PM by Zenthos »