Author Topic: How to make/install cursors and other ui's.  (Read 6835 times)

Read all of topic before posting.
I noticed that the community has recently went into a custom ui phase. (Browse through the add-ons section of the forums and you'll be sure to find one.)

First we will start with the FAQ's (Frequently Asked Questions)

Q#1:What is a ui?
A: A Ui is an icon or picture that comes up in the game. (e.g. killing yourself or a person will pop up a skull in the chatbox.)

Q#2:Where are the ui's located?
A: It's path is Blockland\base\client\ui (Wherever you installed it goes before /blockland. E.g. C:\blockland\base\client\ui  I have a C: before blockland since it is on my Local Disc. Or some have it in program files so it would look like C:\program files\blockland\base\client\ui)

Q#3:How can I make my own UI?
A: I'll guide through that after Q#4.

Q#4:How should I prepare for making a UI?
A: Start off by downloading a paint program. (E.G. Gimp, Paint.net *I prefer this one for newcomers*, and Photoshop.) Next, is to back up all the original UI's. You can do this by making a folder in the pictures file named whatever. (BLoriginalUI is what i would prefer you to name it to reduce confusion and getting files mixed up.) Last, is to copy and Paste all UI into this folder.

Making A UI:

• Make sure to follow Q#4 in the FAQ's for prep.
  • Start by opening the paint software.
  • Then Brainstorm for something to make.  
  • You can only Replace a Ui not make more than the defaults. (look past the next dot see how I made one.)
  • Make sure the UI your making's size is the exact same as the one you are replacing.
  • Save the one you just made as the same name and as a .png file.
Example:
I open paint.net and think to myself "Hey I'm going to make A new mouse pointer for Blockland!"
I then went into C:\Blockland\base\client\ui opened up CUR3_darrow and backed it up in my BLoriginalUI folder.
After I chose what I wanted to make I painted a Mouse pointer that suited me.
Before I saved I thought "Hey wait a minute, I have to resize it!"
I went Back to the original file and saw it as a 16x32 .png file.
I then saved it as CUR3_darrow.png file with a dimension of 16x32.
Now all I had to do was drag it and drop it in the UI folder.
*If you get a prompt asking if you want to copy and replace that is normal. Just select Copy and Replace. Don't freak out since it said "Replace" you have another copy, remember?.*
Now just open up blockland and see if it worked.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is the Custom Ui I made with this Guide.

Windows Pointer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing is the same as making. Backup the file your replacing. Put what you would Like into the ui folder. If prompted click copy and replace. Then voila a new Ui for Mr.Blockhead.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 06:54:20 PM by cool-cat »

You can just put the cursor on the post =P

Also
C:programfiles\blockland\base\client\ui
Just maybe?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:54:27 PM by GenaralSkar »

Nice but i don't think this belongs here...

Well it's kinda the same thing as how to install addons...
But every post that has a custom Ui download should tell you where to put it.

You can just put the cursor on the post =P
Just maybe?
Just maybe. (Sorry for using Mediafire folks!)

I thought Help was for Installing the Game because that always confused me.
Is it help installing the game or its components?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:47:00 PM by cool-cat »

Whats the size on the target thingy? Do you know?

What target thingy?

When your in first person, theres a little circle. whats the size on that?

Oh yay, now to get spammed by newbies with new "BEST EVR" ui's..
Although i will help, as the 'Damage' is already done..
When your in first person, theres a little circle. whats the size on that?
A Crosshair. Size 32x32.

Also i noticed that the "Demos" UI is still in the folder, even though there not used.

With the cursor I made? I made with my little brothers demo version, thats probly why.

Open the file you want to replace and look at its deminsions. If you are in paint.net click resize to see its current dimensions.

BTW: I put a GIF file in replace for the skull and it worked. If you are more experienced with painting I recommend you try this.

NOTE:Mediafire is down right now. So the link isn't broken.

Pic below is a project i'm working on. They are kill medals from Halo 3 but don't dislike them because there halo. So far it has been a copy and paste but I am cleaning them up right now.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 08:06:29 AM by cool-cat »

I'm pretty sure you also make it transparent with photoshop...

Paint.net makes things trans too. Click the part you want to delet with the magic wand and hit the delete key.

I open pain.net and think to myself

Never knew image editing hurt xD

Paint.net makes things trans too. Click the part you want to delet with the magic wand and hit the delete key.

I don't have Paint.net. I have Paint. I use Paint to create the ui, and photoshop to make it trans. I find it cooler in photoshop.