Author Topic: Better folder structure  (Read 5138 times)

I know it's a design issue. That's why I brought it up.

Sorry bad wording on my part, but I still think it would be better not to make a dramatic change to Torque.

disabling UAC
About ten minutes after I did this I decided it was the best option I had ever changed in my computer.
"ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO RUN THIS SUSPICIOUS PROGRAM 'My Computer'?!?! IT MAY BE A TERRIBLE VIRUS!"
"You need admin permission to do this. Since you are an admin, you have the permission to click this button and give yourself permission."

I can pretty much guarantee that Badspot will not make any changes to the engine that allow it to mess with files outside of the game folder.  Installing somewhere else or disabling UAC are the solutions.

I run Blockland from an external drive and it works just fine.  It's more or less a "portable" app; it doesn't install any drivers or DLLs and it doesn't add keys to the registry.

I prefer that Badspot spend his Blockland time on bug fixes and new features instead of catering to "programmers" bitching about menial stuff.
It's not menial. It's the way programs are supposed to be written. It's called good practice. And I don't appreciate you putting programmer in quotes to say that I am not one.

Besides, changing paths is not hard. It would require changing ONE line of code for each path in a well structured program.

Or you could use a well-structured operating system i.e. not Windows Vista

Or you could use a well-structured operating system i.e. not Windows Vista
Vista/7 follow the same structure as Windows XP, Me, 98, 95, and possibly earlier. Vista/7 just enforce using the folders for what they should be used for.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 02:39:18 PM by Richard Robertson »

*bangs head on table* GET *ow* A *ow* MAC *ow*...

*ow*

*bangs head on table* GET *ow* A *ow* MAC *ow*...

*ow*
I'm not even going to bother putting up argument for that one.

Vista/7 follow the same structure Windows XP, Me, 98, 95, and possibly earlier. Vista/7 just enforce using the folders for what they should be used for.
Keeping the same hacked up folder structure from versions of Windows over ten years old and creating hidden virtual directories that mess up all the programs designed for them is definitely what it's supposed to do!

Keeping the same hacked up folder structure from versions of Windows over ten years old and creating hidden virtual directories that mess up all the programs designed for them is definitely what it's supposed to do!
It's not hacked up.

"Program Files" = where the program goes.
"Application Data" = where the data goes.

Good operating systems use this organization. Both Windows and Linux do. I can't speak for Mac because I hate the dang things and have never bothered inspecting the file system.

The Application Data file is hidden for no explained reason which makes Add-Ons and such hard to install, the file writing protection breaks just about everything by having written files inaccessible to the program sometimes or files directly installed to C:/Program Files not working. It's two folders pretending to be one merged one and usually end up as one and a half, or perhaps none at all. (With a million extra broken shortcuts everywhere to folders that no longer exist like WinXP's Documents and Settings that don't work sometimes) Then there's the registry, just to slow everything down and put all your settings in more confused, bloated "backwards-compatible" storage.

The Application Data file is hidden for no explained reason which makes Add-Ons and such hard to install, the file writing protection breaks just about everything by having written files inaccessible to the program sometimes or files directly installed to C:/Program Files not working. It's two folders pretending to be one merged one and usually end up as one and a half, or perhaps none at all. (With a million extra broken shortcuts everywhere to folders that no longer exist like WinXP's Documents and Settings that don't work sometimes) Then there's the registry, just to slow everything down and put all your settings in more confused, bloated "backwards-compatible" storage.
You seem to have missed the part where I said that addons would go under My Documents or other similar folder.

And who said anything about the registry?

"Application Data" = where the data goes.

Good operating systems use this organization.
Some of the data goes in the Registry, so if you want to call it a good system then you've got to include that too. You can't put the data in My Documents either since that'd be against the whole point of the Windows data folder structure you're defending. If you're putting it there then you may as well use C:/Blockland.

Some of the data goes in the Registry, so if you want to call it a good system then you've got to include that too. You can't put the data in My Documents either since that'd be against the whole point of the Windows data folder structure you're defending. If you're putting it there then you may as well use C:/Blockland.
~faceplam~

Windows XP and newer versions have a Saved Games folder either in My Documents (XP) or directly on the user (Vista/7). That's where the game addons and saved builds would go.

Programs should never be installed to the root of the drive. Not only is it disorganized, it's tacky.

Programs should be easy to back up. When everything is stored in the user's folder, copying the entire folder can be considered a complete OS backup. All the programs can be reinstalled and then the user's folder is just pasted back in place. Blockland can't be backed up like that, while everything else I use, can be.

Also, the registry is rather abused at this point. Originally it was only used to store file extension associations. This was as early as Windows 3.1.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:30:21 PM by Richard Robertson »

You can argue all you like, Badspot is not going to change the file structure just because one person says it's messy. The fact that you want the game split into 3 parts, is even more messy then the current system.

If you don't want to install the game directly on your main drive, make a Games sub folder.

That's not a real solution. The problem isn't UAC, it's the fact that Blockland is writing to the Program Files folder in the first place. It shouldn't be writing there.
Try to understand how complicated the change you suggest is comparatively to you moving the folder.

Beyond that, splitting the program and the data is a stupid move, in my personal opinion.