Why are my Shadows so Bad?

Author Topic: Why are my Shadows so Bad?  (Read 1723 times)

Well i've played blockland with shaders on max for a while, and i keep wondering, why do they look so bad?
All the other pics and vids with shaders i've seen, when they are on max they look great!
Look at mine.

Why? Why do they look so bad!
All Jagged. Can someone explain?
Do i need to chance my catalyst settings?

Most people use a Shader modification,Atleast when making Videos,Or Pictures.

lower draw distance or something like that

Most people use a Shader modification,Atleast when making Videos,Or Pictures.
Wow, isn't that false advertising? :/

Uh, no. It's using mods. Using add-ons in video's isn't false advertising either, is it?

Uh, no. It's using mods. Using add-ons in video's isn't false advertising either, is it?
It's all fine and dandy when it's not official

Sharp Shadow Mod:
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=242380.0
Soft Shadow Shader modification (graphic intensive)
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=241926.msg6949468#msg6949468

Also lowering the depth of field and fog on the environment settings improves shadow quality

Wow, isn't that false advertising? :/
so everything that comes from any other mods (vehicles, bricks, etc) is also false advertising by your reasoning???

Because Blockland's shadows are laggy and horrible.

Sure they look kinda choppy, but it's not worth complaining over it.

you guys realize this is how all shadows in games are done right

you guys realize this is how all shadows in games are done right
There is clearly a problem with how they are rendered though.

I can run CS:GO (with beautiful shadows) at high settings perfectly fine, yet I can only run Blockland on Low at about 20fps.

I can run CS:GO (with beautiful shadows) at high settings perfectly fine, yet I can only run Blockland on Low at about 20fps.
Because you're not rendering thousands of objects at the same time. Again, it's pretty damn impressive the sheer number of objects Blockland can have and cast shadows for without killing every computer in existence.

Plus Blockland is running an engine that is pretty old compared to other engines.

Because you're not rendering thousands of objects at the same time. Again, it's pretty damn impressive the sheer number of objects Blockland can have and cast shadows for without killing every computer in existence.
Plus Blockland is running an engine that is pretty old compared to other engines.
I have to agree here I'm pretty amazed that an engine back from like 2003 has been optimized to the point where it can run 100k objects plus dynamic shadows without much lag