Author Topic: Blockland, and why we can't have nice things.  (Read 14919 times)

yeah, ok. ask bushido if that's the reason he whines about anything that doesn't fit within the style of his addons
too bad bushido's been inactive

even if they aren't complete, they can have significant value. there are also some things that would not pass as an add-on, but willing community members could patch together to a usable state. if nothing else, you can have these things on a github repository or something.

hey otto, don't you have a few chatbot addons that were server sided and could learn that you never released?
why is that?

because forget chatbots

TL;DR

I sortof rambled that all up really quickly. I'm just really, really frustrated at how nothing ever gets finished (even though there's decently working copies of it that could definitely be finished by another person, or the content already made could be released without every single feature included), and how the stuff that does get finished that is remotely cool never gets released due to the ego-booster 'private addons' mess going around.
THIS
so many mods could have survived if they released their unfinished work for others to finish, like avp pack did
this includes
monster pack (by hydralisk)
FREAKING JURASSIC PARK PACK (also hydralisk)
Terran vehicle pack (again, hydralisk)
The thing (hydralisk AGAIN.

hey otto, don't you have a few chatbot addons that were server sided and could learn that you never released?
why is that?
i've been giving those out to anyone that asks on request

i never released them because i figured everyone hated chatbots even if they were hilarious. it was also when i was just starting to code so i was still in the "i'm a special snowflake and my mods are for me and my buddies" mindset. i think this is the version i've been giving out https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11058668/chatty.cs

it's not strictly server-sided but making it client-sided has obvious pernus implications

So what is the main point of this thread?
Did you even loving read the OP?

There has been a rise in releases of private/unseen content actually.

Some from Greek2me, Xalos, Khain, and maybe a couple others I didn't catch.

I honestly believe that once people are finished hosting or using something, they should release it. It doesn't hurt in any way to have other people visualize their own use of your creation. There will be failures in use of released add-ons, but there will be a chance of success too.

i agree with op 100% about private add-ons and blocko style bullstuff
I once considered making my.own add-ons that were out of the blocko style and if someone complained I would say that its my add-on, I can model it in my own style
but it would of been a huge waste of my time, I should make them for enjoyment, not out of spite

Most of the things i have worked on are minor support scripts, anything big is set to release once it can be worked with.
I personally hate private add-ons, but as long as add-ons are still in the works, i cannot just put them out there.
I tend to release betas once i think things are working okay and i am taking too long, but that is not with all things.

I dunno if anyone mentioned anything of the Bug Mods, but let me just claim in advance, once it's done, you will get it.
We don't want you to have a half broken thing, you WILL get it and we are sorry it takes so long.

monster pack (by hydralisk)
FREAKING JURASSIC PARK PACK (also hydralisk)
Terran vehicle pack (again, hydralisk)
The thing (hydralisk AGAIN.
Hydralisk wasn't really too good on his projects.
He started them, but once things went downwards, he just stopped and most of the time, vanished.
I might still have a version of some of them, but they are probably outdated and i probably don't even have permission of him to release them anyway.
Not to mention they might not even work well at all.

...and i probably don't even have permission of him to release them anyway.

Typical answer. What if the owner cant be contacted or doesn't play bl anymore? It will die.
I will release my private bricks even if I am not very ok. But others people may like them! The community need more good stuff.

Well, from Port's specific examples, atleast for the vehicle sounds, it's because they 'aren't given the necessary coding to work on it's own yet'.

It's because releasing something would mean officially saying "this works perfectly in every situation and lives up to your every expectations while being extremely user-friendly." If none of those are true, I can't exactly just make a topic in Add-Ons for everything I make- it'd mean dedicating the rest of my life to answering the same complex questions about how to use it over and over. Even so, I've still released a lot of the things I've made and (more recently) literally everything I've made that I could find, no matter how complex. It is not in any way just automatically your property just because it's an add-on for the same game as you play. I don't approve of private add-ons, but it's simply not viable to release everything.

Oh it's not viable to release it, it's only viable to post all over the internet to flaunt around and then tell everyone to kiss your ass when they want a taste. Here's the solution bud: If you can't handle the responsibility of being a producer, don't pretend to be one.

Or, here's something else; swallow your loving pride and ask for some help. Upload your dead projects for public viewing. If you're not willing to engineer your ideas, somebody else might be.