Author Topic: The 128k Bricklimit and how to get rid of it.  (Read 3491 times)

I want to start a discussion about the 128k bricklimit.
Please don't start a flamewar about its necessity.
I want this to be a serious Topic.

First off all:
No, this is not about the demo limit.
Yes, I know that there is no limit in singleplayer.
Yes, I will and allready have reached the limit.
Yes, you can bypass it, but just from 128k to 130k then your bricks wont appear anymore.

And yes now the real post will start:

I really like blockland, there isn't any other game where you can live your creativity as in blockland.
But there is one problem that makes me upset about blockland. The 128k bricklimit.
We allready have started a lot of projects such as BACs Town V 1/2.
But none of our projects were finished because of the limit (Yes, a real good project is never finished).

Now I wonder if its possible to get rid off the limit.
As I have understand the GhostIds are 17bit long (would be ~130k Ids).
Lets say we raise it up to 20bit (~1million Ids), this would 8x the bricklimit.

But then Badspot had said in an old thread that this would slow down the Brick Ghosting because of the traffic between server and client.

And here my suggestions to bypass this:
Add two modes a 17bit and a 20bit mode. Then you can choose in the server config if you want 17bit or 20bit.

If now a client will join a server, the client will check whether the server is running a 17 or 20 bit mode.
If he got this information the client will set up his ghostid variablesize to the right amount and join the server.

You don't even have to give support for the 20bit mode, just make it" use at own risk"
You also could output a warning when you try to join a 20bit server.

I hope my ideas will help to bypass the limit.
If I am wrong please correct me Badspot.

To everyone else, please post any ideas which could help to get rid of the bricklimit.

Just a simple idea that might have nothing to do with your need, you could use custom bricks to reduce the brick count. If you had to make a wall that was like 200x1x10, instead of using a lot of smaller bricks, you could make a custom brick for that exact size.

Just a simple idea that might have nothing to do with your need, you could use custom bricks to reduce the brick count. If you had to make a wall that was like 200x1x10, instead of using a lot of smaller bricks, you could make a custom brick for that exact size.
The answer lies above ^^

Use the search button please Warground
The system used to make blockland doesn't allow over 128000 bricks

I cant see that not reaching the limit is the answer to get above the limit.

But its right to build as efficient as possible and we allready do this as far as possible.

And i know how to use the Searchbutton. Thats why i got the information for my first posts.
I refer to this link where Badspot had wrote that its possible to raise up the bricklimit.
http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=15483.msg209596#msg209596

I just want to provide you some excitation.

The brick limit doesn't need to be freaking higher I highly doubt you've hit the brick limit by now.
And that your just saying that so you wont have any worries.

The brick limit doesn't need to be freaking higher I highly doubt you've hit the brick limit by now.
And that your just saying that so you wont have any worries.
Have you SEEN his builds?!

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/8559/blockland00031.pngThat house could use smaller bricks, thus lowering the brick count. If you say used 2 1x4's, you could use 1 1x8.

Stop arguing guys, it's true.

I was looking in the server config files and found this:

$Pref::Server::BrickLimit = "128000";

I do not know if this can really alter it, I have not tried it.

Have you SEEN his builds?!
Have you SEEN how spammy his builds are?!

Have you SEEN how spammy his builds are?!

They acually look pretty neat.

Stop arguing guys, it's true.

I was looking in the server config files and found this:

I do not know if this can really alter it, I have not tried it.
You can make it go higher in advanced config, you idiot.

why is everyone making topics about the damn limit it's fine

Protip:
There isn't really a "limit".
As for the supposed "Brick limit", I'm not even sure if there legitimately is one. Bricks you don't see aren't rendered (Draw distance can reduce lag when turned down), so if you build massive builds in different areas not in your draw distance, I'm sure you could go over 128,000.
I'm more than sure Badspot doesn't have a hard-coded limit, not to mention you can raise it in the Advanced prefs options. Really, the limit is just how many you can handle.

why is everyone making topics about the damn limit it's fine

Not unless you try to make a replica of the entire world plus the moon.