Author Topic: How would I go about making a Brick in Blockland?  (Read 1062 times)

So, I have successfully ported a few models from the Source Engine (bottles, crates, etc.) and tbh, they actually fit. They work ingame, yes. The only problem is: How do I know what size to make them? I really do not wish to go through trial and error; is there an easy way? Right now they are way too small.

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=53716.msg6718699#msg6718699

BLB Editor.

Back when I tried making bricks, it was a lot of trial and error

Huh. I'm very, very new to this, and I surprised Leetzero with my newfound ability to port source models into BL.

I'll give it a shot.

... how do i use this lol, is it just like, live-editing thing where you can see whats happening right there?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:35:58 AM by Arekan »

Huh. I'm very, very new to this, and I surprised Leetzero with my newfound ability to port source models into BL.

I'll give it a shot.

... how do i use this lol, is it just like, live-editing thing where you can see whats happening right there?
Basically, it allows the "trial and error" to be a little less annoying.
I'm sorry I can't point you to a better source, but If I find something or someone that knows better, i'll redirect them to you.

Only because I'd like to learn as well. :)

After a bit of trial and error on the program itself it seems it doesnt update itself and it also seems to freeze once editing something.

Why can't there be a mod to snap models to certain things like 2x2 :(

What modelling program are you using? Assuming Blender, the size of a standard 1x1 .blb brick is 1 unit wide and 1.2 units tall, so that should be a solid reference for you to work from.

As far as making the brick goes, your best bet is to use a converter. You could use Badspot's or General's. There's also an exporter for Blender .49.

I already use Badspot's converter. Everything works out well, the thing is just the size. I'll try to work off of that.
EDIT
As I said, I got everything ingame, and everything surprisingly fit as long as they were flatshaded. I might release a brickpack.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 06:55:17 PM by Arekan »

http://forum.blockland.us/index.php?topic=53716.msg6718699#msg6718699

BLB Editor.

Back when I tried making bricks, it was a lot of trial and error
A word of warning though. The UV coordinates are either rotated 180 degrees or mirrored in that program. I can't remember which.