Author Topic: Tumble Key  (Read 1033 times)

I bet this has been requested before

I would like an add-on that when I press a button on my keyboard, I can automatically tumble where I stand. I feel this can be great for lolz and much more.

Notify me if this can't be done, and I'll lock the topic.

Now I know this isn't "On Death" but read this

Why tumble-on-death was removed and should never be re-created

It makes it look like the game is broken.  It looks fine when you're by yourself in a single player server, but in a multiplayer game when you're connected over the internet there is a huge delay between when you die and when you tumble making the game look broken.  Often the vehicle has moved several meters before it is ghosted to you, so when the player is mounted on it they warp to it or simply disappear if the vehicle is out of view.   

Often times if a player is killed while standing still, the tumble vehicle remains upright and the player just stands there after they are died and the game looks broken.  If someone is killed in a doorway, the doorway is blocked for several seconds.

It lags the game to stuff.  Vehicles are not exactly the most efficient things in in torque, especially when you're creating a bunch of them at once and cramming them into piles of bricks like what happens with tumble on death in a heated deathmatch.  It simply creates too much of a strain on the cpu to be justified for a cutesy effect.

Vehicles are given priority network updates.  In a death match there are many people dying and tumbling all the time and there are so many vehicles bouncing around that there isn't enough bandwidth left for you to see normal player movement smoothly.  You start seeing people warp around and appear in front of you mysteriously and the whole experience just goes down hill.

I understand that rag-doll effects are cool but this is not the way to create them.  Please stop fighting me on this issue. 

This can be very abusive by lagging the server.

Can be done easily, but it would need both a client-side add-on for the keybind and a serverside add-on for the tumbling, so it would only work in your own server (or the server of other people who have it)

Now I know this isn't "On Death" but read this

This can be very abusive by lagging the server.
I see. So I guess that means I lock the topic? I mean I'm not sure if the keybind will do the same thing, so I'll keep it up.

I see. So I guess that means I lock the topic? I mean I'm not sure if the keybind will do the same thing, so I'll keep it up.
It would do the exact same thing, It's just a different way of requesting it.

If you have good people on your server, it will be no worse than the default ski tumble
If you tell a server full of idiots "HEY PRESS /TUMBLE TO FALL" and they spam it, it would be worse

Hmmm... if there was a way to force the tumble player to take a lower priority, then maybe the abusiveness could be controlled.