Author Topic: Wanting to build a 12' Catboat  (Read 1489 times)

Well you should just not paint it since the paint would add a tiny amount of weight and take a tiny bit of aerodynamics off.
yeah but the paint would be smoother and would actually have less drag than the bare wood

I would try and see if there are any boat-builders in your area and ask them for advice.
Also any local maritime history museums, and definitely libraries for books on boat-building. Do your research.
this is not an unusual thing
people build boats all the time
it's not like it requires some kind of magic fairy dust
I think he meant they would need the know-how to do it and they won't get far blindly building things and just experimenting on design.

bit of a problem with local maritime museums and boat builders in my region
i live in indiana, the nearest ocean coast is 718 miles away (chesapeake bay) unless you count the great lakes.

I plan to use this on a large lake in southern indiana, the largest in Indiana that is, Lake Monroe.

bit of a problem with local maritime museums and boat builders in my region
i live in indiana, the nearest ocean coast is 718 miles away (chesapeake bay) unless you count the great lakes.

I plan to use this on a large lake in southern indiana, the largest in Indiana that is, Lake Monroe.
How old are you? Do you have access to tons of woodworking equipment, including a mechanical lathe, drill presses, saws, sanders, and other expensive tools? Do you have access to a machine shop in order to make the finer pieces of the rigging?

yeah but the paint would be smoother and would actually have less drag than the bare wood
thats why we build extra smooth material

15, I actually do because of my uncle Kurt, who owns his own heavy-equipment tool rental bussiness, and his close friend Steve who is also a family friend of ours who is a very skilled carpenter.

However, if you read the OP, I dont want to go into modern construction, I want to keep it as primitive as I can, no powertools, ect.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 02:45:32 PM by Nizza Deutchsen Man »

15, I actually do because of my uncle Kurt, who owns his own heavy-equipment tool rental bussiness, and his close friend Steve who is also a family friend of ours who is a very skilled carpenter.

However, if you read the OP, I dont want to go into modern construction, I want to keep it as primitive as I can, no powertools, ect.
making a primitive boat sounds like a great way to sink $1500
seriously though, you're using $1500 and no power tools
just like
nailing pieces of wood together
did you think this through? $1500 is a lot of money man
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:08:02 PM by TristanLuigi »

I read Catbot, so I thought you were going to spend $1,500 on a robot to fill your furry fantasies.

thats why we build extra smooth material
wood is naturally not smooth

you can sand it all you want but without a lacquer or paint it is going to be rough

and by rough i mean at the smoothest possible a matte-like finish, which is not as smooth as high-gloss paint.

I have some extra gamma ray paint if youd like to give it a shot.

actually you would want to paint it with gamma rays since they have the shortest wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation
lets try not to give everyone on and near the boat cancer shall we

lets try not to give everyone on and near the boat cancer shall we
hey im just trying to help him with aero/hydrodynamics

yes, and i know, however I only put in 350 to 400 dollars of that. I already have a car that i bought from my uncle, and tis' a 1993 mazda miata. Granted, I took out my entire savings account to do that, but my college fund is still intact, and I have a job working for my uncle, which is how I paid that 375 or so into the boat fund.

I would be saving some money by doing this primitively, though. Power tools, relative to hand-tools, is quite expensive.

your uncle had a mazda miata?
how did his mid-life crCIA go

this is false red has the longest wavelenght of all the colors which means it takes longer for the light to reach you
you would want violet as a color since that has the shortest wavelength

umm