Author Topic: Peter Jacksons King Kong: The official game of the movie Thread! (pagestretch)  (Read 1478 times)

Hello everyone! Today im bringing a mini or a normal thread that treats about Peter Jacksons King kong, the videogame. I made this thread since I have googled a thread on games for this one and couldnt find it, so I thought it would be cool for you to see it.

1-Introduction
Peter Jacksons King kong: The official game of the movie, just as the title says, is based off the 2005 movie "King Kong" made by Peter Jackson. The videogame, just like in the movie, takes place in Skull Island (and near the end in new york) since some crazy movie director wants to record on the island, once you approach you discover that there are both huge and small, and even prehistoric creatures on it, and that you arent the only humans there. There are two main versions: Signature edition, which is the one used mainly on PS2, and Gamers edition, which is the one on PC and XboX, with much better graphics.

2-Gameplay
Around 80% of the game, you play as the human main character, Jack Driscoll. The game itself is very immersive, since it doesnt contain any hud blocking your sight, and to know your ammunition you need to press a key for the character to look and tell you how many magazines/clips/buckshots you have, and sometimes he isnt really sure about it, and you also cant see your health or map. The game is in first person, even though on some scenes, it isnt. These scenes is where you play as kong, most of the time battling the V-Rexes (evolved Tyrannosaurs), rescuing Ann (The female main character), and rampaging on New york. The controls, depending on the platform (Ps2, GBA, PC, XBoX 360, Playstation portable and Nintendo DS) can be smooth or not, but also depends on the skills of the player.
As Jack, your main resource of defense consists on weapons, which consist on Tommy guns, Luger pistols, Trench shotguns, Gewehr rifles (all of these found on boxes dropped by a plane on the boat), and sharp bones and spears (encountered randomly around the island) that are incredibly useful, although fire and even enemy npcs can be used to kill enemies. While being kong, smash and rip is the main defense and attack system.

3-Main plot
The main story itself is very simple, near to the movie´s one. But most of the time it feels like an new experience, since there are deleted scenes included in the game, new ones, and used ones. You are Jack Driscoll, a script-writer that goes in a mission to film a movie with Carl Denham, a crazy director that would sacrifice his life and other´s one just for his camera and film. You start on a lifeboat since the main boat is stuck on a rock, and you need to continue your way. Ann, which is the "girl to rescue" in the game and Hayes, the gun expert and the brave man, also come with you. The sea isnt really good there; There are waves around 7 meters high, so you get crushed by a boat and one of the sailors die. Once on the island, you wake up and continue your way, discovering the reason of why Denham wanted to get to the island: Real-life huge-sized prehistoric animals, such as Tyrannosaurs, huge Velociraptors, Brontosaurs, gigantic crabs, enormous millipedes, and how not, a huge ape under the name of King kong. Now its your time to struggle for your life and save Ann, to get off the island.

My opinion on the game
I personally think its one of the best games I have played. Probably i would prefer playing the PC/ Xbox 360 edition, since the only difference there are the graphics. I dont care for that, but if I can get them, better. The gameplay was incredibly immersive, and the scenes being human where you needed to shoot the invencible V-Rexes (Evolved T-Rexes), or fight Raptors only with spears, or even escape on rafts on the rapids from the already mentioned Rexes were incredibly tense and had me on the edge of my seat. On PC and Xbox editions, there were some parts where the illumination was so nice made (ex: Caves) that once or twice I jumped for the speedy attacks of the milipedes, and I felt unsafe on the Brontosaurus scene. The graphics and audio were incredibly nice and enjoyable, even for 2005, and the dinosaurs really made it for me.
For me it was 10/10.

So what do you think guys? Have you played the game? Did you like it?                  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 06:26:52 PM by danielmoya »

The images are borked.

i have the gamecube version, the shooting mechanic is weird (although nice) and the game is so dark i have to point a flashlight at my screen but other than that its not that bad

I was just thinking about this game today. It made me stuff my pants when I was 5, no joke. I had the xbox version, my least favorite experience of the game was the two v rexes coming at you under the dino crossing. I had only spears, couldn't find rifles.

"It's ok, I have enough magazines."

I really loving hated this game. Had it on PS2 I think and was pretty stuff at it, and couldn't put up with the gameplay being a bitch.
Annoyingly my cousin loved it and she was somewhat good at it despite not playing many shooters.

I was just thinking about this game today. It made me stuff my pants when I was 5, no joke. I had the xbox version, my least favorite experience of the game was the two v rexes coming at you under the dino crossing. I had only spears, couldn't find rifles.

"It's ok, I have enough magazines."
That surprisingly my favourite scene, I think you mean the raft one with Jimmy, right? I always keep the shotgun, since before the brontos scene if you exchange the rifle for the shotgun with Hayes, youll have many magazines, and then, when at the corner outside you find other shotgun in a box, the ammo is hard to loose if you do that. I felt very tense on that scene, since it was 1-kill-hit unlike other parts with the V-rexes

EDIT: And also, I must mention that the thing that bothered me mostly was the Thompson viewmodel, it looked huge and took most of the screen. Chicago typewriters are really beautiful weapons, looking it that way it looks ugly. By experience, I played both the PC and ps2 editions, and they both look ugly.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:41:14 AM by danielmoya »

locking, who knows if Self Delete squad AKA betel comes here
EDIT: just saw its overrrr
edit: still locking incase
edit: unlocked now, last edit lol
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:32:34 PM by danielmoya »

I rented this game years ago for the PS2 and absolutely loved it! At least until I reached the raft part. 6 year old me couldn't find out how to get past that part at all.

Is there any reason why this game has a thread?

Someone got me this for Christmas or something after the Xbob 360 came out. I never played it lol.

Is there any reason why this game has a thread?
Why is there a thread for a game named off, that treats about a batguy killing stuff?

I've had the Xbox Version for years, My sister actually played it a month ago