Author Topic: Need help on which OS to replace for Windows 8.  (Read 1378 times)

Windows 7.
Why? Windows 8 is an upgraded version of windows 7. OP never said he had a problem with no start button.

Try Windows 3.1, I use it for programming. Or you could use MS-DOS it works great with old games

you have a prob with no start button?

buy this if you have 5 bucks http://www.iobit.com/iobitstartmenu8.php

it works great, I have windows 8 and buying the start menu for 5 was worth it.

Guys, read the thread, OP has no issue with Windows 8.

arch linux or archbang if you're willing to read and put together the OS with a terminal to get exactly what you want

or crunchbang for a minimalistic easy to use and very customizable OS ( http://crunchbang.org )

dual boot with a linux build is a really good idea, allows for quick work on linux boots and heavier duty gaming/processing on win apps.

better for coding. if you knew how to code, you would know enough to not even have to ask us what OS you would use. you would already have a preference.

arch linux or archbang if you're willing to read and put together the OS with a terminal to get exactly what you want

or crunchbang for a minimalistic easy to use and very customizable OS ( http://crunchbang.org )
crunchbang is slow arch is too hard to set up
I love the look of crunchbang though

crunchbang is slow arch is too hard to set up
I love the look of crunchbang though
crunchbang was slow because you ran it through a damn VM

I have found Ubuntu to be unreliable, running really slowly/poorly on many of my machines for no apparent reason.
That was 12.04 though, hopefully some of that is fixed in 13.04

I have found Ubuntu to be unreliable, running really slowly/poorly on many of my machines for no apparent reason.
That was 12.04 though, hopefully some of that is fixed in 13.04
notice how unity 2d runs perfectly fine.

it's the god damned 3d effects doing this stuff.

I'll tell you this upfront: you will very likely miss windows.
That set aside, I have used XP, 7, 8, Ubuntu 12.04, Ubuntu 13.04 and to be honest, it depends on the PC you have. My main computer is a beast. Octocore processor, 16GB of Ram, and a nice GPU that I can't remember. Everything ran loving wonderful. All OS's, though if you have a lesser quality computer (had an intel pentium 4, 1GB of RAM and a stuffty gpu), Windows 7 has run better than Ubuntu. 8 wouldn't install lol. On higher quality computers (Intel i7 with 8GB of RAM and a 680M, Windows 8 worked best out of 7, 8, and Ubuntu. Though my current laptop which is a midrange HP Pavilion dv7, a meh AMD processor 4GB ram you get it, vista sucked, my experience with Ubuntu was... Boring. At first I was extremely excited for Ubuntu. Though, idk, I got bored last night and put Windows 8 on, and it is running faster than it's glory days.
Tbh, Ubuntu was nice and all for coding, but really sucked ass at most other things. Video kept on loving up Elfen Lied wouldn't open up, audio had some wanky sound. The drivers were all updated too, idk. Windows 8 I haven't used much but I am having a much better time using on my lower end but still midrange laptop.

What should I do guys? Should I delete the Windows folder or something?
No! What are you doing??

I can tell from that picture that you aren't actually dual-booting. It looks like you installed Ubuntu using Wubi (the Windows installer). If you're going to dual-boot, you should do it properly and partition your hard drive.