Author Topic: Garry's Mod - A possible fix to the, "High Shadow Detail" bug  (Read 16534 times)

Dynamic Shadows Fix
Okay firstly. I play Horror Maps. A LOT OF THEM! And thou, having Source 2007 games not letting me use "High" as an option for Shadow Detail, I went searching on the internet back and forth for a fix. (Lets face it. Dynamic Shadows look nice) I have found a workaround that has worked for me and will work for you.
  • Go to the "Library" menu in Steam.
  • Go to any Source game's Launch Options. (For me, Black Mesa and Garry's Mod) (Right Click > Properties > Set Launch Options)
  • Copy and paste this in the Command Line: -force_vendor_id 0x10DE -force_device_id 0x1180
 Go into the video settings for a BIG Surprise.  :cookieMonster: It may look grainy afterwards but check this link for Projected Texture tweaking. http://facepunch.com/threads/1112981 months and months of this fix being unsolved and FINALLY having a legitimate work around. Please spread this to Steam Forums, Facepunch etc.
From what I can brown townyze from this workaround, it makes Source think that you are using a powerful GPU where it can unblock Medium. When in reality your only using an Intel card. (However, this does not mean you are using that particular card.) And once again, please spread this to other Forums. Thank You and now... I gotta get back to finishing Hell's Prison. IN DYNAMIC SHADOWS!!! Hope this helps! :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 08:52:52 PM by Ninjaman349 »

Or you can make an autoexec.cfg file in the Garry's Mod/garrysmod/cfg directory with this in it
r_flashlightdepthres 4096
r_projectedtexture_filter 0.5
mat_slopescaledepthbias_shado wmap 0
mat_depthbias_shadowmap 0.001

Nice quality shadows, but may also cause your game to lag depending on your machine

I have r_flashlightdepthres to 8192 4096! :D And I don't really lag. I run it 36 - 45 FPS. Mostly because of the 181 Workshop mods I have installed.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:18:36 PM by Ninjaman349 »

NEW PICTURES! Go check it out.

Useless Update: I just went on a Horror Map binge by myself. It was really fun. (Hell's Resort, Hell's Prison, Ghosthunt 1-2, Death of the Dream 1-3 and Abandoned Metro.) also if you have problems, please contact my Steam. Dr. Flat Soda. Bye bye!