Author Topic: OS question.  (Read 1119 times)

Hey folks. About a year ago I bought a Dell PC and it came with this disc:

I was wondering if I could use that as the OS for my upcoming build, at least until I have the money to upgrade to 7. I only ask because I don't want to spend $110 on Windows 7 for my build, dropping the OS and using this would save me about a half month of saving, maybe more depending on how things unfold.

You should be able to.

It's still your computer. No reason for it not to be legal or not work.

That's your recovery disc. I don't think you could use it on an entirely different computer.

No, it doesn't contain Windows. You won't be able to use it either because of the key.

No, it doesn't contain Windows. You won't be able to use it either because of the key.
Ah, piss.

If you're going to buy all the parts before the OS you can run linux on your computer until you can afford Windows then multiboot.

If you're going to buy all the parts before the OS you can run linux on your computer until you can afford Windows then multiboot.
Can I play Steam games in Linux?

Can I play Steam games in Linux?
How well it runs on your computer is highly variable. The important thing is that you'll still be able to use your computer while you're waiting for windows to come. Alternatives to this if you absolutely need your games is just putting your old hard drive back into your new computer or keeping your old computer set up until you can purchase Windows 7.

Here is a screenshot of me running Left 4 Dead on low settings, windowed, 640x480 at 11fps. So yes, you can play steam games on linux.
Keep in mind that I have a 1.8ghz AMD processor that's at least 4 years old now, an 8600GT, 2 GB of ram and I'm running dual monitors at a combined resolution of 2560x1024 which will slow down games unless you shut one of them down while you're playing. You will probably get better results on your machine. Crossover for Linux will play games a lot better than Wine but it's $40 and probably not a great idea if you're trying to save up for Windows.

On the other hand DOSBox, zSnes, etc all have native versions for linux and older windows games will run pretty well in wine so it's a great time to revisit some classics.

I wasn't suggesting you replace Windows with Linux, just that it would make your computer usable while you saved up for Windows if you otherwise didn't have access to a Windows machine that could play games.

Yes, that is an option.

Quick question though, I can't do anything to foul up my new computer with files from my old computer, can I?

Like, say some kind of virus or something was lurking somewhere in my current HDD. There's no way that it could harm anything else if I took my current HDD out of my new computer and put it in my current one, right?

If there's a virus in the files you're moving from the old computer to the new computer then it'll probably spread again. But seeing as you're going to be using Linux it might not even work lol.

If there's a virus in the files you're moving from the old computer to the new computer then it'll probably spread again. But seeing as you're going to be using Linux it might not even work lol.
I'm not even talking about files, I'm talking about the actual hardware. If I've got an (even the smallest bit) corrupt HDD, can it damage my hardware at all if I use the old HDD for a while, then when I get Windows 7, remove that HDD, install the new HDD and install Windows 7.

If the two hard drives are in the same computer then a virus on one of the hard drives could mess with files on the other. If you had a virus on a drive with Windows XP and hooked it up in your new computer with the new hard drive running Windows 7 there is the possibility that the virus could spread.

You should probably format your drives before installing Windows 7 anyway, if you wipe the disk it won't be a problem.

Windows viruses won't mess with anything in linux, they don't know how to run under it. There aren't really any linux viruses in the wild at the moment. It's possible to get viruses in wine, just don't run IE in wine. Even if you get I don't know why you would do this anyway since there are plenty of native linux web browsers. If you do manage to infect wine it's not really an issue because it can only see the fake windows drive it's in so there's really only 1 folder for it to hide in.

Viruses do not damage hardware. I mean it's hypothetically possible but I've never heard of it being done. Just wipe the disks before installing Windows 7. As for bad drives messing with hardware, I still have a burned up CD drive sitting in my computer, still powered, and at one point I had a broken hard drive too, they didn't break anything. My brother has a broken floppy drive in his.

Yeah, I'm not even talking having the two drives hooked in at the same time. I suppose I could install them and leave one unhooked in the expansion bay and use the old one for a while. When I get the new one, I unhook the old one, put it back in the old computer, hook up the new (still empty) HDD and install 7 on that.