Author Topic: My Computer May or May Not Be Bipolar  (Read 1650 times)

Hey look my computer is having some odd problems again.

I'm going to go ahead and divide up this thread post into three sections.

I. Problem 1
II. Problem 2
III. Upgrade; Yes or No?

DxDiag.txt is attached.

Problem 1

Description of the problem: The computer freezes up.
When: Generally whenever there is no user interaction via mouse or keyboard present but has happened randomly while doing anything though.
How long: Ever since this computer has come to be.
Possible and ruled out causes: COULD be motherboard or hard drive, definitely not memory at least I don't think.

I defragged my drive and I'm going to do a virus scan and a disc check tomorrow but I highly doubt it is a virus.

UPDATE
Disk check found nothing wrong.

Problem 2
Problem verified and 'solved'.
Different RAM speeds = BAD.
Took out 800 MHz 2GB and its much faster somehow, and will either get two 1GB 667 MHz or two 2GB at 1066 MHz. Whichever one.

Description of the problem: My system does not live to its potential (aka it's being loving bottlenecked by something and it's pissing me off)
When: Very demanding games such as Crysis or Grand Theft Auto 4.
How long: I passed it off as "oh my system just still isn't good enough" but a 9800GT shouldn't be failing to perform in Crysis or GTA4 at all.

I don't know what is wrong with my system.
I have a Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz (Yes I stopped overclocking it to make it last longer).
A 9800GT 512 MB that shares 2.2 GB with my system.
Gigabyte EP43-DS3L motherboard
4GB of RAM (two 1GB at 667 MHz and one 2GB at 800 MHz)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
An Antec EarthWatts 650w PSU
160GB WDC 7200RPM HDD (finally found specs of my hard drive)

I seriously don't see how this can fail to perform properly in Crysis or GTA 4 which are literally the only demanding games I've played on this system. GTA4 fails to do anything more than 25FPS on a street with severely low settings (and its ungodly hideous too) and Crysis can only go on low with around 50-60 FPS as well. It's incredibly annoying because I can't figure out whether I need to upgrade the entire thing or something specific.

UPDATE
For GTA 4;
Recommended: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1GHz
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7300 @ 2.66GHz
This is the only thing that failed for recommended. Wat.
But with Crysis it says I can do incredibly great on it.

Should I upgrade?

Problem 2 being stated, should I really upgrade? Is my system just seriously not that good enough? Do I need a quad core?

Upgrade thoughts:
A Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz (because I don't want to dish money for anything other than my already current LGA775 motherboard)
4GB of DDR2 1066 RAM
and hopefully a used GTX260 when my brother buys a 480.

End of problems relating to a computer.

P.S. If you don't know anything about what I'm talking about please turn around and leave the thread.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:55:22 PM by General Nick »

P.S. If you don't know anything about what I'm talking about please turn around and leave the thread.

I can run GTA4 maxed out (minus detail/draw distance), and I have basically the same processor and graphics card you have :cookieMonster:

I can run GTA4 maxed out (minus detail/draw distance), and I have basically the same processor and graphics card you have :cookieMonster:

good loving job. you broke what could've been an awesome combo.

I don't know much about RAM, but why are they two different speeds in one computer?

No it was pretty lame.
Hating is never an awesome combo.

well sorry for breaking a stuffty combo

you know what, forget this gay stuffty as loving titty raping butt loving homo thread.

...cigarettegpots.

wtf man.

wtf.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Just by looking at the damn specs for the game I can tell I can perfectly run it.
Multiple "can you run it" sites tell me this that I can run it on highest.
The game even recommends me to run it on high.

But my god damn computer is for some reason sucking.
Suck a rooster.

I don't know much about RAM, but why are they two different speeds in one computer?
No it was pretty lame.
Hating is never an awesome combo.
Two different speeds cause I was ignorant about it at the time. Is that affecting me?
well sorry for breaking a stuffty combo

you know what, forget this gay stuffty as loving titty raping butt loving homo thread.

...cigarettegpots.
You're the one sucking a rooster. Go take your homoloveuality to drama.

wtf man.

wtf.

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Just by looking at the damn specs for the game I can tell I can perfectly run it.
Multiple "can you run it" sites tell me this that I can run it on highest.
The game even recommends me to run it on high.

But my god damn computer is for some reason sucking.
maybe you should like

reformat or something if the scan doesn't find any viruses

maybe you should like

reformat or something if the scan doesn't find any viruses
My copy of Windows was just installed barely a month ago.

I'm not doing another reformat any time soon and the problem seems to happen regardless of reformat.

Two different speeds cause I was ignorant about it at the time. Is that affecting me?
When I got RAM at a different speed it was loving up my computer, so probably.

When I got RAM at a different speed it was loving up my computer, so probably.
Really?

If I take out the 2GB, do you think it might work better?
I'm gonna try that.

Holy stuff, I tried high settings for GTA 4 and it's amazingly great with only the two 1GB sticks. WTF.
I'm getting 40-50 fps on medium settings for GTA 4 with the two 1GB sticks only. How the stuff.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:03:18 PM by General Nick »

Bump. Problem 1 still persists.

As for Problem 2 I now have 2 gb and will either get another 2gb at either 800 or 667 or get 4gb at 1066.