Author Topic: New Forum Board Requested, "Intellectual Discussion"  (Read 4083 times)

It is a forum pertaining to the game known as "Blockland" where you are meant to discuss Blockland and not frivilous topics such as religion, politics or the size of your snake.

Welp, you all just got ephi'd.

not frivilous topics such as religion, politics or the size of your snake.
Well that can ruin ones day. :(

Is this pertaining to the whole forum, or just to Blockland related sections, like not Off-Topic?

I mean in an ideal world, this entire forum would be for Blockland discussion only. The off-topic forums exist as a communal toilet to stop people stuffting where others eat, I suppose.

I mean in an ideal world, this entire forum would be for Blockland discussion only. The off-topic forums exist as a communal toilet to stop people stuffting where others eat, I suppose.
Greatest simile/metaphor I've seen in my whole schooling.

1) You are on a forum filled with children.
I like how untrue this statement is.

I like how untrue this statement is.

:cookie:

This won't happen for a number of reasons:

1) You are on a forum filled with children. Children do not engage in "intellectual" discussion.

2) The amount of moderation required to keep the trolls and spammers out would be monumental and personally I wouldn't be willing to waste my time on it.

3) This forum is not 4chan, Facepunch, SomethingAwful, or any other "community" you visit. It is a forum pertaining to the game known as "Blockland" where you are meant to discuss Blockland and not frivilous topics such as religion, politics or the size of your snake.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as there's a generic place to put all your crap that doesn't relate directly to Blockland then I just don't care.
Hm, I guess it would take some pretty heavy moderation to keep such a section. I still revere it as a good idea, but I see your point entirely.

2) The amount of moderation required to keep the trolls and spammers out would be monumental and personally I wouldn't be willing to waste my time on it.

This will most probably not happen, but here goes:
What about a user reputation system like on ReturnToBlockland forums? All users start with 3 rep, and only users with 5+ rep can view/post in the Intellectual discussion topic?

In a perfect world, what I would see in that section would be theory for building, people's ideas and opinions of different facets of life, and possible tutorials on a plethora of subjects.

The better articles people write, as Devvy has said, the more their rep would go up from other users.

Reputation is tough to implement when you have a community like this. Kids hold a mean grudge and that plays havoc for a reputation system. The main reason I ditched it on RTB was because people were ganging up on others they didn't like to get them a negative reputation regardless of the quality of content they submitted. Sure you can probably work out some rules to make that less prevalent but I just didn't have the patience to balance it out.

Again, it's a lot of work for Badspot to provide what essentially boils down to an e-peen measurement.

All users start with 3 rep, and only users with 5+ rep can view/post in the Intellectual discussion topic?

A lot of spammers and trolls on this forum are idolised for God knows what reason which would totally nullify the idea of a reputation requirement.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 10:22:04 AM by Ephialtes »

Badspot

• Administrator
I thought is was self explanatory for the most part.

This is exactly why this would not work.  You think your idea is well explained but it is not.  "Intellectual Discussion" means different things to different people but you just assumed that everyone thinks exactly like you.  Everyone is thinking of something different but talking to each other like it's the same thing and bam, you've got yourself a grade A handicapped internet argument.  This is exactly how threads in this hypothetical board would play out. 

Yes I can see everyone point here. Unfortunately I am lead to believe this will not be done do to the heavy moderation required, and if not, it would need a reputations system that simply noone wants to spend the time to create and balance. So well I may be done with this I will keep the topic open for anyone else that wants to continue this argument.