Author Topic: Getting computer from aunt, but is it worth it?  (Read 725 times)

Seems like a pretty good ripoff, but it's quite juicy.

My mom had to paint my aunt and uncle's bedroom yesterday, so I literally found a hp, knowing it wasn't theirs. It was all in the stickers still too!  :cookieMonster:

So, I was waiting for my cousin to come back from some stuff and she said it was from a doctor's office where my aunt supposedly works at.(She was a grammar school teacher all my life :o.) and we call her up. She took it because he couldn't get the password for it. I lol'd.

So my plans are to format it. I don't want disturbing doctor stuff. Also I am going to get Windows 7 Home Premium. This is a problem. I need a cheap way out to get it (eg $50-$120(New)) and I'll post my current specs on the Dell I use.

Dell XPS 410

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (Always the default OS, but I had to reinstall +10 times.)

3GB of ram

250 GB HD

Nvidia Geforce 210 PCI Express x16

Sound blaster pci (Using it because I blew the sound on my mobo)

These are basicically all the default parts than the GPU and 2 GB of extra ram.

HP Pavilion a6528P

I eyeballed the model because well I couldn't remember it but I believe this it it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01474421&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3751188 These are the specs.

Now, since this has only 4gb, and it can run 32 bit OS at this time, I can run Vista Home Premium OEM from my Dell possibly if the disk doesn't check if it is just Dell hardware, right?

I am on the verge of possibly getting it, and I totally think its worth it. But most of these people are possibly more of a tech-savvy audience, you state your opinions.

Also, discuss.

I have 4 gigs and run a 64 bit OS :o

I have 4 gigs and run a 64 bit OS :o

I always had 32 bit computers, and it's a big change for me.

I think it's ok. Better than mine, a lot better.
I am going to get Windows 7 Home Premium. This is a problem. I need a cheap way out to get it (eg $50-$120(New))
Use Google Shopping. I found Windows 7 for $75.

I think it's ok. Better than mine, a lot better.Use Google Shopping. I found Windows 7 for $75.

That's at some crappy outlet store. I might get it from there but I won't get the computer in possibly in like next week. My mom doesn't believe me still, lol.

Get a 64bit OS. Judging from the rest of the system specs, it probably has a processor that supports it.

Get a 64bit OS. Judging from the rest of the system specs, it probably has a processor that supports it.

Alright then. It would need more ram, but yet again this beast I am on right now has DDR2, the same ram that is in the hp.

So whenever I get new news about this, I'll order the Windows 7.

Alright then. It would need more ram, but yet again this beast I am on right now has DDR2, the same ram that is in the hp.

So whenever I get new news about this, I'll order the Windows 7.

wat

64bit operating systems don't use more RAM...

There is literally no reason not to use them, unless your hardware isn't supported.

I haven't had a 64 bit computer. ever. So basically I was confused why it ran a 32 bit one.

I have a 210 :o

:3. I am going to see if it has a PCI Express x16 now.

PCI Express x16    One (One available)

Pentium processors are stuff.

Bit of it's free go for it :)

I would go with a 64-bit too

if you get a windows 7 you can get alot of games that arent supposed to work, work on it